[nvda] Re: observations with the latest snapshot

Referring to synthesizer commands, Chris wrote in part:
This can be done
on the fly by nvda+control up arrow to increase, down arrow to decrease, and left and right arrow to move in between the various options such as voice, speed, etc.

This needs to be changed. There is no reasonable way to implement these commands. Even if one uses the caps lock for the NVDA key the combination of control caps lock is very uncomfortable and unnatural. If you were to use a key like any of the three at the right top of a standard keyboard, you would then have the daunting prospect of using the right control key in combination with the arrow keys, a very uncomfortable combination. I would recommend assigning a combination like alt shift for these kinds of commands and eliminating use of the control key, leaving the simple alt plus shift plus arrow keys. Some Others may have other ideas and may know of conflicts that may result from using the alt shift combination but I am unaware of any that amount to anything. While numpad insert can be used in the present configuration, it is hardly convenient or pleasant to use the right hand for this command while at the same time reaching over to the arrow keys with the left hand. This is both an unnatural use of the left hand and the control is so close to the left arrow key that it is annoying and inconvenient to use the left arrow key with one's thump almost touching that key and sticking up from the control key toward the top of the keyboard. the index finger of the right hand is also too close to the right arrow key to allow comfortable access. If the left control is used, one is, once again, faced with the unpleasant task of holding the numpad insert key with the right hand while simultaneously working with the arrow keys with the same hand.

Window-eyes uses control alt with the arrow keys to issue such commands. I don't recommend that because on some computers, some of these combinations change the screen orientation. Alt shift appears to me, barring better ideas from others, to be the best choice.

Gene