[nvda] Re: admin: Eloquence

On 17/02/2009 4:57 AM, Gene wrote:
My main objective in raising my questions and objections is that, with
proper legal consultation or by consulting companies like G W Micro,
Gw Micro do not own Eloquence. Thus, their opinion is secondary at best, unless they've been given explicit permission to sublicense Eloquence for unrestricted use.

I read the page you linked
to. I saw nothing authoritative sited. I saw no quote from the legal
department of the company that owns the software.
Quoting from that ticket:
Still, I have been asked to publish
this letter from the Italian distributor of Eloquence for licensing purposes
(please excuse my bad
translation, smile).
Unless you want to claim that the letter was fabricated, this point is invalid.

I did not ever say the programs are free nor that
they should be copied and distributed.
... Which was the original point of my post. Ways to "obtain" Eloquence should not be discussed on this list unless they involve legal purchase. This discussion would not have started except that several people asked where they could obtain a copy.

My point is that they may be
available for legal purchase and, given the popularity of these
synthesizers and their low use of resources and high quality speech, it
is an option users should be aware of, if it exists.
We have investigated this ourselves. From what we've been able to determine, they can be purchased, but must be purchased in bulk and then re-sold. This is why PeNVDA was created, although it is quite expensive.

--
James (Jamie) Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx