[nvda] Re: admin: Eloquence

On 16/02/2009 3:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I disagree with your analogy.  Via voice and Eloquence are programs that
are bundled with other programs in many instances. It is not the same as
someone downloading an illegal copy of something or copying or
transferring something illegally.
My point was that just because something isn't restricted doesn't mean it isn't legally restricted. I can copy many programs I own because they don't have copy protection, but that doesn't mean it is legal. Other programs have copy protection, but that doesn't mean that all those that don't are okay to copy.

If the owner of Eloquence wants to restrict the program, why
does it allow unrestricted use when the program is installed with
Window-eyes and only restricted use when installed with JAWS?
One reason might be that it's easier to use SAPI4 than to use a custom API.

If you read the letter I linked in my previous email, you will note that Nuance's distributor is suggesting that this is not legal. Unless you can provide legal advice to the contrary, we cannot afford to take the risk. It is really that simple. Similarly, we were asked to withdraw our ViaVoice driver from NVDA some time ago and we complied.

Anyway, the main point is that people should not ask where they can find a copy on this list. This is why I made my original post. No one is asking for instructions on how to use a legal copy, because no instructions are required.

--
James (Jamie) Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx