[nvda] Re: To all list members

That might be something that could be added to either the website or the wiki in the near future, but for now the questions will probably be posted to the list. ----- Original Message ----- From: "shaun everiss" <shaun.e@xxxxxxxxxx>

To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:21 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: To all list members

do we have a project faq we can put all the comon questions in?
At 06:26 a.m. 28/05/2007, you wrote:

Hello list members,
As I am reading through the list of emails, I am noticing a pattern of questions. Many of the questions I have encountered have been asking the developers to add something that NVDA doesn't already do. While it is ok to request new features in NVDA please keep in mind this. NVDA has a very small number of people that are programming the actual code for it. In fact there are only around 3 or 4 that I know of. I would like to ask all list members to please remain patient with them. One of the number one requested features on this list is for video display hooks. Yes, it is a known request, and it is being researched. In any case, I have noticed a few other disturbing trends. As new members are added the same questions begin to be asked. I would like to take this time to ask the existing members to help Mick out in this area. If you notice a question that you either know the answer to, or have seen appear on the list before, please help the newer members out by expla
ining
to them what you know about the issue. Now I being on the developers list too, see each and every day Mick and others adding fixes, and sometimes new features at a very brisk pace. It is mind boggling sometimes to watch them. I am not a programmer of NVDA myself but I find it fascinating to see how quickly they work. Sometimes, I myself think of a new feature I would like to see added into NVDA but I try to watch what they are doing and try my best to refrain from one request after another. Another disturbing trend I have noticed are list members that come back to the list and ask if the feature they requested has been added yet. While I can see why people may want to ask that question, I can't see the need for posting it to the list. The reason is because they could very easily download the latest version of NVDA and test it and see for themselves. Now, I would also like to redirect the posts on this list by saying, the number one thing I have not seen on this list
is th
is. No one to my knowledge has come back to the list and said hey I just discovered that NVDA works pretty good with an application that it is not known to work with. In closing I would like to say that each member on this list should really take the time to explore the applications they have on their computer and report back to the list programs that work well with NVDA that are not otherwise known. I understand that it is frustrating that NVDA does not work with every application you have but before you get frustrated, please try to take the time to find some that it does work well with. I can assure you even the programmers get frustrated because it does not work with every program in existence, but I can assure you they sometimes also feel frustrated by the number of people that only seem to ask for new features because NVDA does not work with the programs they had hoped it would. I can say for me personally, I am quite stunned by the number of programs NVDA does wor
k wit
h that have not required the NVDA team to do any additional work. There are also a large number of programs that NVDA will work with but have problems in some areas. Most notable of these is Skype. It is a known issue that NVDA is not able to read the menus in Skype versions lower than version 3. But I have found that it is still very possible to use those versions of Skype without NVDA needing to read the menus. I also have a tip for some that have wanted to be able to arrow around and select text in a MSN or Windows messenger window. If you go into the message history window and press Control A to select all of the text in the window then copy it to the clipboard. Open up a text editor such as note pad and paste it in there you will then be able to do with it what you wish. In any case, my point to this post is don't be afraid to explore and you may find a tip or two that you can pass along to others.
Thank you for your time.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.