To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 1:22 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: SpeechHub: A new cross platform TTS server

Thanks for the quick and detailed feedback, Brian.  It does sound like
SpeechHub crashed outright, as it shows up as javaw in the process
list.  We tested primarily with Java 6, and some with Java 7, and only
32-bit versions.  Do you know which version you have installed?

Isaac may be able to say more about the SAPI 5 driver issues.  The
nasal sounding voices are the Pico female voices.  It's not because
they are designed for small speakers.  It's actually a very nasal
voice.  I think it sounds terrible, but I can understand it at pretty
high speed, and it's available in 6 languages.  I've been told that
the french voice sounds better.

The voices at the end of the list with the strange names are the ones
I'm most excited about.  They are Mary TTS voices.  The one I use
mostly is cmu-rms-hsmm.  We've asked the Mary TTS author if he would
mind providing a nicer alias for his voices, but if that doesn't
happen, we'll add an alias capability ourselves.

The Mary TTS voices could be the ones crashing.  These voices are
still somewhat experimental, and have had the least real world use
with screen readers of the lot.  I intend to work with the Mary TTS
devs to help make it more stable and responsive over the long term.

Thanks,
Bill

On 2/6/12, Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, well I installed it and the first problem... welll you just knew I'd
have one didn't you?, was that windows threw a bobbly when going through the voices it says JAVAW.EXE has encountered a problem. At any rate all spoken
output stopped at this point and I had to launch my alternative copy of
nova.
I noticed also that it cannot see my Serena voice but is happy with Daniel but Emily sounds terrible due no doubt to using a bespoke driver rather than
the microsoft sound mapper I selected in sapi 5 native in nvda.
I was also intrigued to note that This Javaw wanted me to open my firewall
to it so wondered what all that was about?

It has, on my xp machine, a number of male voices at the bottom of the list
which are hard to tell what they are as they seem to say initials a lot,
thenthe espeak ones from presumably the sapi 5 version of espeak, Some
Orpheous ones that do not quite work properly as they say space before
everything, then some femal voices. These are different to my normal pio but
do still exhibit that nasal problem due, I assume to being designed for
small speakers.
 It was while on the male ones at the bottom that the crash occured.
 Hope this makes sense.
 Brian

bglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent via blueyonder.