[nvda] Re: SAPI, was: Re: Re: IRC Clients, Anyone?

that sounds like a great idea. Either that or NVDA should support DecTalk access32.

Josh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Samuel Proulx" <samuel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] SAPI, was: Re: Re: IRC Clients, Anyone?

I second that motion; developers: stop it with the SAPI 5 stuff, please. I look forward to the day when (if?) NVDA and espeak get things sorted out so NVDA can use the espeak dll directly without going through SAPI. SAPI is buggy, slow, many "SAPI" engines don't fully support the standard, SAPI crashes a good deal, it's easy to break (a system where one new voice can bring down SAPI entirely is not a good system), I have never encountered a SAPI5 voice that could go fast enough for me (I.E: over 300 wpm), and SAPI will never do braille or hardware synths or anything else. I'm not trying to flame, SAPI can and should be used when no other options are available (as in NVDA's case right now), but I think we as blind users need to take a strong stand against SAPI in applications like games and software plugins, because if we don't it will soon be all we have left. I think the solution is to begin pressuring screen reader companies to come up with, and all follow, some kind of a screen reader interface standard so that an application can send text to be spoken with one clearly defined function, and it will get spoken by the screen reader and/or displayed in braille, no matter what the current reader may be. Perhaps as an open source solution, NVDA should set the standard?
Jim Grimsby JR. wrote:
That is a bad idea.  More and more stuff talking to sapi.also what about
Braille support. At least with direct interfacing with a screen reader the
Braille and speech can be produced by the screen reader to the needed
device. An example of this I was completely deff the other night. If I was
not using a version of mirc that interfaced with my screen reader I could
not have used my Alva and then I would have not been able to get on irc at all. Well I could because I got my mirc jaws scripts but I think you got the
idea.