[nvda] Re: Problems with NVDA and HP laptop

You already have the problem.  If you back everything up, you will just be
backing up the problem.

The easiest solution and perhaps the most trouble free one to implement is
to restore your computer to the original factory state.  Your manual has
instructions for how to do this.  You will need sighted assistance to do
so.  Your computer has the original factory state of the system already
available on a partition of the hard drive set aside for this purpose.
You will loose all of your files so if you have created data files you
don't want to loose, back them up first to an external drive or cds or to
some other removable media.  then start over and reinstall your hardware
once you have returned the computer to the factory state.  And this time,
make sure System Restore is set to keep a reasonable number of restore
points before doing much of anything.  Install the screen-reader, of
course, then check to see if System Restore is set to use a reasonable
amount of disk space.

Regarding your question in your previous message about how many restore
points are saved, did you check the checkbox that says something like show
more restore points?  If you did and you still see only two restore
points, then it appears that some idiot set your system restore to use so
little disk space that it isn't keeping nearly as many as it should by
default.  I can't tell you just how many you should have accumulated
before the oldest ones begin to be deleted when new points are made. It's
a percentage of disk space and that's how you set the setting, by
percentage.  but if you don't have a reasonable number of restore points,
then your system restore may be set up in an almost useless way.

If the check box is checked and you still have only two restore points
available, I'll tell you how to increase the number if you want to know.
That won't solve your current problem but it may help next time.  I would
strongly advise you and anyone else who hasn't done this to make sure
system Restore is creating restore points and is creating a reasonable
number. Especially if you use Vista or Windows 7, where System Restore is
reliable and powerful, this is an important precaution.

Gene