[nvda] New to the list with a question.

Hi there.

I am Michael Park from Pietermaritzburg in South Africa. For a couple of years, I have been wavering between the use of NVDA and another screen reader and hav finally taken the plunge and am only using NVDA as my screen reader of choice.

It has been in the wake of me promoting NVDA as a screen reader of choice to a company which manufactures and sells telecommunications equipment, that the question I want to ask, has arisen.

One of their employees, a blind person, has been given a laptop with Windows 7, 64-bit edition and he wanted to know if NVDA would run in a 64-bit environment. I have already done research into the matter and according to the NVDA web site, the program will run in a 64-bit environment.

I have also done some research on the Microsoft web site and the web sites of other screen reading manufacturers, some of whom have separate 32-bit and 64-bit installers for their software, and the drift of what I was able to find is that in instances where there is not a separate 64-bit installer, that a considerable deal of 32-bit programs can operate in the 64-bit environment without modification.

I have not worked in a 64-bit environment before, and, as a matter of caution, have suggested to this person to run NVDA off a memory stick in the meantime while I get clarity on NVDA and the 64-bit environment.

In that way, if the program does not work, no damage will have been done.

What I would love to know, is the following:

1. Is there anything that I should specifically be on the lookout for when installing NVDA in a 64-bit environment?

2. What are some of the current issues that people are encountering with using NVDA in a 64-bit environment?

3. In instances where issues have been encountered, how have these been dealt with?

Thanking you all for your assistance.

--
Michael Park.
I am not an expert, because "ex" means "has been" and "spert" is "a drip under