To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:56 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not working in Internet Explorer

Hi all,
I've just joined this list.
I am an irregular user of NVDA, the latest release version. I am keen to use it a bit more, as I am visually impaired and have my share of issues with the big-ticket products like Zoomtext and SuperNova. However, I have a big problem now with NVDA, following a crash i had some weeks ago.

I am hoping someone can help

I run Windows XP SP3.
Some weeks ago, there was an update to Internet Explorer 8, but in part due to my vision, I inadvertedly rebooted my machine while it was conducting that upgrade. Not a good thing to do. When everything started up again, I found that I was running Internet Explorer 6. I eventually managed to reinstall version 8, and it seemed that I was back on track. However, I soon discovered that NVDA would not read anything from web pages. When you tab into the page, or use the mouse, it simply says "pane" (or perhaps it's saying "pain"?) In any case, it's not very helpful, of course, NVDA works fine everywhere else, be that the desktop, or Windows Explorer or in Office.

Now, perhaps significantly, I also now have a problem with Zoomtext. For those of you who might know the product, it's AppReader also won't do anything on web pages. I've spoken to AI Squared, and they explained that it has something to do with the use of their AHOI module. I've removed it, then put it back, but it still doesn't work. I've been tussling with them for a few weeks now, with various suggestions that have achieved nothing.

It's my view that the crash I described above was the starting point, and that the problem is affecting both of these products.

Does anyone know anything technical about how NVDA reads web pages, and what might be a fix for the problem I'm having?

Cheers
Henry Lebovic
Sydney, Australia

Use the following link with the code STOR-4NS3-DSCT to save 10% on Voices from nextup.com: