To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:07 AM
Subject: [nvda] Re: NVDA and video hooks

hmmm.
I am inclined to think not.
nvda was coded without hooks, the hooks would probably enable it to read a bigger range of things. Unlike the other readers, for most things that use msaa, ie msn windows live, ie, avg or at least parts of that, notepad, jart and other such programs and maybe a few others that use msaa directly, and maybe java, I don't see any reason why nvda wouldn't work. you must remember that readers like hal, jaws, etc are designed arround the interceptor. Without that they can't read the screen because as far as they care they need to access everything by intercepting graphics for their off screen models.
this has been the solution since windows nt 3.0, and these were the first.
which is not supprising.
At 04:44 p.m. 20/02/2009, you wrote:
Hello all:
I just have one quick question. When/if video hooks or intercept drivers ever get implemented into NVDA, will this feature destroy it's portability? The reason I ask is I often take my thumb drive on wich I have NVDA portable installed on to the library, and there computers don't have any accessibility software installed on them, nor do they have admin rights wich allow installation of programs. If this does reduce there portability, then is it possible to either be given the choice of installing them or not, or have a feature to enable/disable them as needed. The only way I can possibly think of to maintain NVDA's portability is to write the drivers, etc to look for a video card, then establish an intercept, I believe this called a display chain, but I am not a programmer. I own my own laptop, so installing things is no problem but I do not have such privilages on my local library's machines.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

__________ Informace od NOD32 3866 (20090218) __________

http://www.nod32.cz