[nvda] Re: NVDA and video hooks

On 21/02/2009 10:01 AM, List account Brians (downstairs) wrote:
If it needs admin rights to install interceptors, which are 'legal' and
catered for in the main
Bearly catered for. :)
how come it seems not to need them for
application hooks, which, in my addled brain seems a far more serious
security hole as you can crash running software.
Video intercept drivers install at the driver level and any driver needs to be installed by an administrator because it works at the kernel level; i.e. at the core of the operating system. In other words, a bad driver will crash your system, not just an application.

In-process hooking is still pretty nasty and I'm not convinced it will exist forever. As far as I know, Windows is the only modern OS that allows this sort of thing.

Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web site: http://www.jantrid.net/