[nvda] Re: NVDA and a FinnishFestival-voice

Hello everyone.
Peter, thank you for providing this explanation. I decided to experiment with the voice myself before I send a reply to the list. I downloaded one of the voices from the website of the Linux destribution that I am using. I think this voice doesn't use UTF-8. I switched NVDA interface to Finnish and compared how this voice and Finnish voice of ESpeak read NVDA's menus. It seemed that Festival's voice didn't read everything correctly. Wikipedia says that ISO-8859-1 is not enough for Finnish language and that ISO-8859-15 can be used with Finnish. The Windows code page for ISO-8859-15 is 28605. By the way, UTF-8 is the default setting for my synthDriver, so you don't have to edit festsettings.xml if the voice expects text in UTF-8. It seems that setting encoding to ISO-8859-15 solved the problem.

<voice name="suo_fi_lj_diphone" cp="28605"/>

But I'm not sure, I would like to know what native speakers of Finnish language think about it.

Olga

05.02.2009 10:39, Peter Vágner пишет:
Hello,

On 4.2.2009 20:57, Isak Sand wrote:
A friend of mine sent me a file named "suo_fi_lj.gz". I'm wondering if
it's possible to use this Finnish Festival-voice with NVDA although I
have only this file. The included english voices work fine!

If you have Olga's festival synth driver for NVDA you can download and
extract these 2 files into your synthDrivers folder.
http://phon.joensuu.fi/suopuhe/tulosaineisto/hy_fi_mv_diphone-20041119.tgz
http://phon.joensuu.fi/suopuhe/tulosaineisto/suo_fi_lj-1.0g-20051204.tgz
and you will get two nice Finnish voices one male and one female voice.
That female voice sounds pretty good - at least I like it.
There may be problem with speaking national symbols because I am unable
to figure out which code page is native to this festival voice
implementation.
I guess it may either be UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1.
You can experiment with it by changing file festsettings.xml.
Before line saying
</voices>
you can try adding something like
<voice name="hy_fi_mv_diphone" cp="65001"/>
</voice>
<voice name="suo_fi_lj_diphone" cp="65001"/>
</voice>
This is for UTF-8. If you wish to try ISO-8859-1 then change value of
the cp property to 28591 .
There is one little note which may help identifying the correct code
page to use, Festival was primarily developed for UNIX.

Hope this gives at least some pointers

Greetings

Peter
Thank you for your continued support of Nonvisual Desktop Access, an
open source free screen reader for Microsoft Windows: