[nvda] Re: NVDA and Edit Fields

Just a note that whereas installing multiple versions of Internet Explorer side by side is tricky, with Firefox this is comparatively easy. Install the Minefield Firefox alpha into a different directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\Firefox3. Then create a new Firefox profile for use with Firefox 3. (This allows you to have different sets of extensions with the two Firefox installs.) You can even run both installs simultaneously by launching one with the command-line options -no-remote and -browser. If there are crucial extensions you need that don't officially support your build of Firefox, get yourself the Nightly Testing Tools extension, disable extension compatibility testing from its options, and your favoured extension will usually work anyway.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
Thanks Mick for the help, greatly appreciated. I am now getting used to
this lack of navigation, however it would be nice if NVDA could track it
properly in the aforementioned applications. I'm quite a flexible
person, so if I do find an issue and it's minor enough that I can carry
on using it, such as this, then I can at least compromize. I've just
downloaded the Firefox 3.0 alpha, and will give it a try at my own risk.
Thanks again for the hard work, and I look forward to more of NVDA!
On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:05:12 +1000, "Michael Curran" <mick@xxxxxxxxxx>
said:
Hi Christopher,

As of yesterday, I just added support for Firefox and Thunderbird edit fields in to the NVDA source code (for the trunk branch). It may be some time before we see a real version of NVDA with this support, but, it is coming, and so far is working rather well. However, this support only works with the latest Firefox and Thunderbird alpha versions, as they have the new IAccessible2 API, which makes it possible now to actually find where the caret is.

As for Wndows Live Messenger edit fields, there is no way I can see for tracking the caret, unless we have display hooks.

Mick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>