[nvda] Re: NVDA, Now The Screen Reader Of Choice?don't go changing other ppl's boxes...

it is the same in the sense that depending of the way you have your computer setup, and it won't be your computer, public computers generally won't let you run your own programs....I get a menu when I put a CD in/same as if I plug in a usb drive. Most folks that have a selected action for cds will have it go to a media player-winamp,win-media,or a CD-burning and copying ap...

B.H.

On 10/29/2009 3:16 chela, Sarah alawami wrote:
Actually you can proabl burn nvda to cd and have the autorun,inf  start it
up. That ay you choose no action. Ok my thinking might be flawed in this
suggestion

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nvda-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of burt henry
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:11 AM
To: nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nvda] Re: NVDA, Now The Screen Reader Of Choice?don't go changing
other ppl's boxes...

Hello,
The short answer is yes, but as I  have never chosen to have a  defined
operation for newly detected devices/media, I  can't tell you exactly how.
If you are working with XP, or newer you will have narrator to get you
started as I  mentioned, so on the off chance that when you plug in your
thumb drive it wants to play say the music you have stored on it then you
can go in to my computer, and click on your shortcut, or if you haven't
configured one "nvda.exe".  Even if you know how to change default behavior,
for newly detected usb-drives, I  wouldn't change anything on someone else's
computer. If it is a  public access computer, I  suspect that you won't have
the permissions needed to change any default behaviors anyway, and they may
not allow one to run external programs.  How permissions are handled varies
between XP, vista and win 7, but as I  am an XP user (thinking of going to
Linux as much as win7), I  can't tell you much about potential problems if
vista permissions are selecting action by default.
The good news is that most personal computers are set up to give you most of
the available options when you connect your USB-memory, and if you have
nothing but programs and documents I  think it can't decide to play
non-existent  music, or show you video or pictures that are not on the
drive.
If you ever have any problems, I  will be glad to play around a  bit and
give you more specific info.  I  have run both JAWS10 portable and NVDA
portable vers on XP and Vista computers with out problems.  I  couldn't get
the jfw portable ver to work at a  siber-café, a while back, but didn't
research it enough to find out if it was something with how there autorun
security was setup, or something else.  (I  had not started using narrator
to get me going) Good luck, and feel free to ask me for any clarification if
needed, and I  see that many others on this list are willing to help.
Cheers
Burt Henry
If you're having' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems
but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

On 10/29/2009 8:08 café, Anna Giller wrote:
Is there a way to fix that configuration if it's not properly set?