[nvda] Re: NVDA, Now The Screen Reader Of Choice?don't go changing other ppl's boxes...

You will find most public access computers block tha type of software for usually it launches a certain file so is blocked from been used. In new zealand public libraries we don't have this problem. We can use nvda portable version at any library on any computer on the network plus there is a hardrive version as well.. If you explain sometimes wht it is used for and they have a chance to test out it etc they will allow it on the computer or network. At least if they can try it out give the website for nvda for them to download and then it gives them a better idea of what you are talking about or even useing a talks enabled phone for demostration so they get the idea.

Gene NZ

On 30/10/2009 5:10 a.m., burt henry wrote:
Hello,
The short answer is yes, but as I have never chosen to have a defined operation for newly detected devices/media, I can't tell you exactly how. If you are working with XP, or newer you will have narrator to get you started as I mentioned, so on the off chance that when you plug in your thumb drive it wants to play say the music you have stored on it then you can go in to my computer, and click on your shortcut, or if you haven't configured one "nvda.exe". Even if you know how to change default behavior, for newly detected usb-drives, I wouldn't change anything on someone else's computer. If it is a public access computer, I suspect that you won't have the permissions needed to change any default behaviors anyway, and they may not allow one to run external programs. How permissions are handled varies between XP, vista and win 7, but as I am an XP user (thinking of going to Linux as much as win7), I can't tell you much about potential problems if vista permissions are selecting action by default. The good news is that most personal computers are set up to give you most of the available options when you connect your USB-memory, and if you have nothing but programs and documents I think it can't decide to play non-existent music, or show you video or pictures that are not on the drive. If you ever have any problems, I will be glad to play around a bit and give you more specific info. I have run both JAWS10 portable and NVDA portable vers on XP and Vista computers with out problems. I couldn't get the jfw portable ver to work at a siber-café, a while back, but didn't research it enough to find out if it was something with how there autorun security was setup, or something else. (I had not started using narrator to get me going) Good luck, and feel free to ask me for any clarification if needed, and I see that many others on this list are willing to help.
Cheers
Burt Henry
If you're having' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

On 10/29/2009 8:08 café, Anna Giller wrote:
Is there a way to fix that configuration if it's not properly set?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nvda-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of burt henry
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:51 PM
To: nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nvda] Re: NVDA, Now The Screen Reader Of Choice?

This is all true, but will be of no use on someone else's computer if
they don't have the correct configuration for what to do when you plug
in your memory. If you know that they have their computer set-up to list
options when a  usb device is plugged-in, then you are good to click on
the first choice which is "run the program" or "auto run" if I  remember
the wording. If they have a  set operation con figged then you are out
of luck, but as I  said in another post you can use narrator to check
out your choices.

Kennydog escribió:
Hi there

You will need to download a portable version of nvda from
http://www.nvda-project.org it will be found under the download
section.  I recommend getting the 2009.1 beata release.  You will need
to get the autorun file as well from there.
Download it and unzip the files to a directory on your usb stick .
Before you do that make a directory called nvda and unzip it into
that  directory all the contents.
Then put the auto run file in the root direcctory donot put into any
other directory otherwise it won't work.  The root directory is what
ever your drive letter is called. eg e drive
Then it should just be a matter of unplugging it then plugging it back
in then pressing enter for it to work.  If this doesn't happen you may
have to update your service packs or turn on the thingy for when cds
or usb sticks are put it it gives you the options of what do do.

Gene NZ

On 29/10/2009 5:23 a.m., Anna Giller wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I'm JAWS user, and the huge limitation is that I can't use any other
computer.
I've just read about NVDA portable software, it sounds great.
Would you please tell me if it's really true that I can keep NVDA on the
flash drive and run it anywhere anytime.
If it is, would you please help me to start:
What is the link to download the most current but stable NVDA version?
Where to get the list of available keystrokes with their descriptions?

Thank you very much for any type of help,
Anna