Thanks For sharing.
B.H.

probably a majority of "power" comp users/pros use keyboard shortcuts when possible, as they save time in many cases.

On 10/29/2009 3:03 chela, ron nuttall wrote:
Hi Dave
Just incase you think no ones listening, it was good to hear your feel good factor story, as i myself have been suffering a lot of feel bad factors of late trying to use my computer. Having read some of your messages, i'd like to make what i hope you'll take as a well ment sugestion. you sound to me as though you're an experenced computer user, but not too happy about using keyboard commands, prefering instead to use the mouse because its what you're familia with and ofcourse you can still see the pointer on the screen. Depending on the rate of your sight loss, there may come a time when you may need to use the keyboard - so why not practice using keyboard commands while you can still see the effect they have on the screen.
This well ment sugestion is born of my own experence.
I started computing two years ago this month at the landmark age of 50, and as a totally blind person, one of the biggest frustrations was the constant floundering about in no mans land, due to not knowing what was happening on screen. As is often the case with these things, i slowly eeked my way up the very steap learning curve - i think i might have got off the bottom rung by now, but only just, at least thats how it feels at times. Still, we keep going, and i'm still hanging on in their, giving it my best shot.
As far as i'm concerned, keep thoughs feel good factors comming.
Good luck and best wishes - Ron

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Dave Mack <mailto:dcmack2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    *To:* nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *Sent:* Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:55 PM
    *Subject:* [nvda] Just sharing a feel good experience with NVDA

    Hi, again, folks, Grandpa Dave in California, here -
    I have hesitated sharing   a recent experience I had using NVDA
    because I know this list is primarily for purposes of reporting
    bugs and fixes using NVDA. However, since this is the first
    community of blind and visually-impaired users I have joined since
    losing my ability to read the screen visually, I have decided to
    go ahead and share this feel-good experience where my vision loss
    has turned out to be an asset for a group of sighted folks.  A
    while ago, a list  member shared their experience helping a
    sighted friend  whose monitor had gone blank by fixing the problem
    using NVDA on a pen drive so I decided to go ahead and share this
    experience as well - though not involving a pen drive but most
    definitely involving my NVDA screenreader.  Well, I just had a
    great experience using NVDA to help some sighted folks where I
    used to work and where I retired from ten years ago.   I got a
    phone call from the current president of the local Federal labor
    union I belonged to and she explained that the new union treasurer
    was having a problem updating their large membership database with
    changes in the union's payroll deductions that they needed to
    forward to the agency's central payroll for processing.  She said
    they had been working off-and-on for almost three  weeks and no
    one could resolve the problem even though they were following the
    payroll change instructions I had left on the computer back in the
    days I had written their database as an amateur programmer.  I was
    shocked to hear they were still using my membership database
    program as I had written it almost three decades ago!  I told her
    I didn't remember much abouthe dBase programming language but I
    asked her to email me the original instructions I had left on the
    computer and a copy of the input commands they were keying into
    the computer.  I told her I was now visually impaired, but was
    learning to use the NVDA screen reader and would do my best to
    help.  She said even several of the Agency's  programmers were
    stumped but they did not know the dBase program language. A half
    hour later I received two email attachments, one containing my
    thirty-year-old instructions and another containing the commands
    they were manually keying into their old pre-Windows  computer,
    still being used by the union's treasurer once-a-month for payroll
    deduction purposes.  Well, as soon as  I brought up the two
    documents and listened to a comparison using NVDA, I heard a
    difference between what they were entering and what my
    instructions had been.  They were leaving out some "dots, or
    periods, which should be included in their input strings into the
    computer.  I called the Union's current president  back within
    minutes of receiving the email.  Everyone was shocked and said
    they could not  see the dots or periods.  I told them to remember
    they were probably still using a thirty-year-old low resolution
    computer monitor and old dot-matrix printer which were making the
    dots or periods appear to be part of letters they were situated
    between.
    Later in the day  I got a called back from the Local President
    saying I had  definitely identified  the problem and thanking me
    profusely and said she was  telling everyone I had found  the
    cause of the problem by listening to errors non of the sighted
    folks had been able to  see .  And, yes, they were going to
    upgrade their computer system now after all these many years.
    (laughing)   I told her to remember this experience the next time
anyone makes a wisecrack about folks with so-called impairments. She said it was a good lesson for all. Then she admitted that the
    reason they had not contacted me sooner was that they had heard
    through the grapevine that I was now legally blind and everyone
    assumed I would not be able to be of assistance.  What a a mistake
and waste of time that ignorant assumption was, she confessed. Well, that's my feel good story, but, then, it's probably old hat
    for many of you.  I just wanted to share it as it was my first
    experience teaching a little lesson to sighted people in my own
    small way. with the help of NVDA. - Grandpa Dave in California