[nvda] Re: Google Chrome still not accessible after almost two years

this is still OtT, but yes, Google has a reason to develop a browser,(BTW-when's the last time anyone payed for a browser outright anyway?)(OK, I guess we do when we buy a new version of windows, but some of us don't do that more than a few times in a life...lol) it's called the cloud. Chrome is part of an overall project to get ppl to do much of their work: spread sheets, word processing/google.docs, and much more some where on the web instead of all on their hard-drive. You don't have to like this, but it is a good solution for many, and chrome is partly designed to integrate the browser as a platform,much as we view an OS, not just a tool to look at web-sites. There are lots of good articles on this all over the web, but please ppl let's stop using this list as a place for any and all rants. A mini rant is allowed when tacked on to the end of an NVDA related msg, but let's try and not take whole threads OT so often.

Burt

On 6/10/2010 10:43 chela, List account Brians (downstairs) wrote:
Half the problem is that nobody considers it until later on in
development by which time the application is broken and fixing it will
be very hard.

I'm just a little suspicious of Chrome myself, Google are data pimps and
would they really make a free browser out of the kindness of their
hearts. What browsing trend recording is going on inside their browser?

Can one disable adverts with a plug in I wonder, as you can on
seemonkey, firefox, and IE with add ons?

Brian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff Shang" <geoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:51 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: Google Chrome still not accessible after almost two
years

Hi,

Before we all go with sticks and stones to Google, here's two tweets
Jamie sent yesterday regarding this:

<jcsteh> False alarm: Google just disabled Chrome renderer
accessibility again due to it breaking tests. :( I'm sure they'll try
again, though.

<jcsteh> Even once enabled by default (can already enable on command
line), work still required in screen readers to get virtual buffers in
Chrome.

Don't worry - there are enough accessibility people keeping an eye on
Google that they're not going to get away with ditching accessibility.

Geoff.

Remember that open source software is community supported! Please
donate if you can because even a little can help a lot:
Thank you for your continued support of Nonvisual Desktop Access, an
open source free screen reader for Microsoft Windows:
http://nvdasd.webra-system.sk/
NVDA with display hooks:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3349789/display%20model%20snapshots.zip