[nvda] Re: Google Chrome still not accessible after almost two years

I suppose most of these free browsers just do not consider it a priority. Indeed it seems that rather than allow screenreaders, they often seem to be saying they are going to make their applications self voice. Not idea why. Donot google have an accessability group set up on thier website which I've given up reading as my bllood pressure was going up. I honestly cannot be bothered any more with these other browsers. I am sure they have read the messages, but if they are either too thick to fix it, or maybe just have no understanding of why it does not work, then what is the point in keeping on?

Brian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex H." <linuxx64.bashsh@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] Google Chrome still not accessible after almost two years

Hey list,

Just figured I'd let you know if anybody was starting to feel positive
about Google Chrome. Still blandly inaccessible. They say that they
use MSAA for screen readers, and yet the menus hardly read. With JFW
only links are announced. Obviously I reported all this to Google, but
who knows till I get a response.
I urge you, complain to Google that they need to make their browser
accessible. It's a right, NOT some dressing for an application. It's
standard and should be treated thus. On this topic, has anybody gotten
pages to read with NVDA in Chrome?
PS: while you're at it, shoot some info to Opera devels and explain
the position of that browser, since they're pretty much at the same
situation. Actually, Opera's a bit better off. At least things
announce when you tab through a page...
I hope I'm not coming off as too snarky but accessibility has been not
been taken seriously enough by some companies and I'm going to change
that.

alex
Remember that open source software is community supported! Please donate if you can because even a little can help a lot:
http://nvdasd.webra-system.sk/
NVDA with display hooks:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3349789/display%20model%20snapshots.zip