Regular expression: checked

Add this and you'll now have stuff like $400 read properly, as well as $400.99

Enjoy

On 6/11/2011 11:26 PM, Dave Mack wrote:
Alex, Thanks for the dollars!

Grandpa Dave

From: "Alex H." <linuxx64.bashsh@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:23 PM
To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [nvda] Re: Dollars and Cents

If one must really have their dollars spoken properly, at least sort of,
Open your default dictionary in NVDA, and add the following:
In the pattern edit box: \$([0-9]+)
In the replacement box:    \1 dollars
Case sensitive: unchecked
Regular expression: checked

This rule doesn't take into account cents, like $999.99, but it will at least speak the dollar portion of it. If that isn't good enough for you, feel free to make modifications to this, and post it to the list so we can all enjoy the fruits of your labor.

PS:
It won't be easy making a rule that does cents, at least from my knowledge of regular expressions and how NVDA works.

alex

On 6/11/2011 9:15 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't consider it nitpicking to expect that standard English conventions of usage be followed. I don't want to be distracted when I'm reading an article to hear dollar amounts spoken in a clumsy, nonstandard manner. An issue doesn't have to be a major one to be reasonable to raise. This sort of issue isn't nitpicking. And the problem may not be limited to dollars. It may extend to symbols such as degrees, which some users may encounter
rather often, depending on how they use a screen-reader.

I doubt there is any user definable way to solve this problem.  If it
hasn't been, it should probably be raised as a ticket or sent to the
address on the web site for sending comments to the developers.

Gene