To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 4:47 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: An odd evident false positive

Hi Gene,

I'm not sure if you were on the list when AVG AntiVirus was detecting a false positive in compiled versions of NVDA. This has since been rectified in AVG. It would seem that executables built with py2exe sometimes show up as false positive malware/viruses in some programs. I can only surmise that this is because py2exe embeds quite a lot of different code into the same executable, which I guess is what viruses/malware often do in order to infect a program. I have no idea how this can be resolved, but I do know that quite a few projects use py2exe, so this false positive would certainly not be limited to NVDA.

Jamie

Gene wrote:
Today, when I ran the Panda online antimalware program, it identified what it claimed was a piece of addware in NVDA named BaiduBar. the identification was made in an old copy of the program as well as a newer version. I am not assuming there is any problem with the software and no adware was installed on my system. The only identification of the location of this alleged addware is in the NVDA folders and in the zip file I have on my machine in case I need it. I am not using the installer version of NVDA. I'm raising this topic because I am curious if anyone else, using this or another malware detection program has received such an identification and because I wonder if there is anything in the code of the program that might cause false positives even in properly working antispyware programs.

Again, I don't want to alarm anyone or cause false concern. No malware has been installed on my machine and I believe this is a false positive identification.

Gene

Email: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW: http://www.jantrid.net/
MSN Messenger: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx