Re: [nvda-translations] Small problem in nvda.po files

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 07:54:52 +0000

On Mon 09/01/12,10:20, James Teh wrote:
> On 07/01/2012, at 6:43 PM, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > @Jamie, only 3 messages are effected, and they are correctly extracted if
> > the complete message is tripple quoted.
> > Do you want me to tripple quote and commit?
> I wonder if the Windows version of xgettext would behave correctly
> (given that it will probably use Windows line endings natively)?

From a very quick scan of the xgettext sources (c++), it seems like they are
writing their own parser, and didn't see anything
special for windows, so not sure if it would produce the right thing without
running it.
Can you please test on windows?

(on careful inspection only 2 messages were having the problem, the third was
flagged up due to a different reason)

The messages to look out for are:

#: core.py:84
msgid ""
"Your gesture map file contains errors.\n"
"More details about the errors can be found in the log file."

#: gui/__init__.py:398
msgid ""
"Welcome to NVDA!\n"
"Most commands for controlling NVDA require you to hold down the NVDA key "
"while pressing other keys.\n"
"By default, the numpad insert and main insert keys may both be used as "
"the NVDA key.\n"
"You can also configure NVDA to use the CapsLock as the NVDA key.\n"
"Press NVDA+n at any time to activate the NVDA menu.\n"
"From this menu, you can configure NVDA, get help and access other NVDA "
"functions.\n"

only the first line of the message appears in the xgettext output.

> Triple quoting is fairly ugly for UI strings, as you have to
> avo indentation on lines other than the first, so I'd prefer to avoid
> it if at all possible.

Only suggesting it as a temporary fix, and we do have tripple quoted messages
elsewhere.

> This is very much a bug in xgettext.
No responce yet on the bug-gettext list.

> Thanks,
> Jamie

Thank you,

Mesar