[nvda-translations] Welcome to list, and general info.

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:36:44 +0100

Hi Team,

Welcome to our new mailing list,

the aim of this list is to be a place for us to discuss translation
issues.

One major bonus should mean that we are no longer forced to subscribe to
the NVDA dev mailing list, especially since it can be quite high
traffic and not particularly related to translation.

NVDA announcement  messages  such as:
"translators, please make sure your localizations are up to date, we are
hoping to release a new release next week." will be posted here.

It looks like all recently invited languages are now working well.
Invitations has been sent to: Danish, French, German, Icelandic
and Galician.
I will probably wait a little and then send a few more invitations.

You may feel that there are a lot of emails from assembla, but this is
mostly because new languages and their files are being added, this will
reduce as time passes.

A note about good commit messages:
Please use something like:
languageCode: completed ug 4650
or if it is a large diff,
languageCode: working on ug 4650
and when you have finished with the revision you say it is complete.

I need to know when you have finished working with ug or ch so that I
can delete them when they are no longer needed, I usually clean out
every week or sometimes two weeks if there has not been many new
revisions.

if your work is not related to ug or ch and it is general cleanup then
please try to describe briefly your change, for example:
ar: userguide, changed some sentances in braille section.
ja: userguide, arranging better line numbers to match with english.
etc

Most of you already do this so thank you.

The commitBot script checks if the userGuide.t2t or changes.t2t 4 times
every hr, and updates the html if needed.
CommitBot checks for new revisions to be translated 2 times a week, on
monday and thursday.
It also downloads the latest pot and merges to see if there are any new
messages to be translated.

I usually package all our changes with correct attribution for each
language and send them to be included around 15--17 of each month, and
more regularly when we are close to releasing.

We want to make the work of translation as easy and as trouble free to
ensure our languages are correctly maintained for the long term, so if
you have any suggestions on how things can be improved, or general
question about the current system please ask here.

best wishes and Thank you

Mesar