[nswnra] Re: This is from IIS

  • From: "Graham Layt" <gll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:35:16 +1100

looks interesting Glen
have you given it a run yet ?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: G C
  To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:01 PM
  Subject: [nswnra] This is from IIS

  Hi!

  I've been reading you guys for a while now but never posted anything. I think
this is my first post so, hi!

  I just wanted to share with you a free tool I've made, called DSO Browser:
http://dso-browser.com

  It allows you to answer questions like "Which DSOs can I see from my
lat/long, 8th magnitude or less, between 8 pm and 4 am, reaching 45 degrees
above the horizon for at least 2 hours?"

  That's one of the key things: to be able to specify a minimum altitude and
time above that altitude, very useful for astrophotography but observational as
well.

  It has several features, such as auto-location, find objects by type (Galaxy,
Nebula, etc), apparent magnitude and size, minimum altitude, etc. Just bear in
mind that any filters you set will restrict the search more and more, so leave
some options empty if you're not sure what you're looking for.

  Also, when you see any object's details you'll see a Google Sky Map embed
showing the actual stuff plus nearby object for you to actually browse the sky
jumping from object to object, getting details, the best time of the year to
see each DSO from your location, etc.

  At the bottom of the page there's a contact form you can use to let me know
your suggestions. I'm planning to include more features, but I believe I
managed to get a decent enough version to share with you so those who wanted to
use it could benefit from it.

  Please note: this is not an exact application, just approximate enough to
help in your observation/astrophotography sessions, so don't expect 'surgical
precision' in the calculations

  Hope you like it, I look forward to your comments!

  Clear skies,

  Sebastian

05:34:00