[nswnra] Re: Last night's viewing

  • From: Paul McGuiness <argonavis9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:18:29 +1000

Hi Rob, good news that the mirror is so good.
The Lagoon is one of my favourite nebulas,
brighter and more impressive than the
Trifid. Likewise the Swan (M17 - Omega).
Both are very nice with the UHC. Must
get an O-III one day as well.
Unfortunately, the Veil is far too low for
me to see from here. Cheers, Paul.

From: corona_australis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nswnra] Re: Last night's viewing
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:24:22 +1000

Hi Paul, Sounds like you had a reasonable night. It was a tad mushy out here
too.I think that jet stream came back into play. The 16” is working a treat, I
can certainly see the difference the newcoating has achieved, so money well
spent IMO. Last night I mostly went back over objects I have been chasing with
the 8”. I did revisit the quartetalong with IC 5148 with and without an OIII
filter. In the 16” it is fairly easily observed without but certainly enhanced
with an OIII haven’t tried it with my UHC filter. Standouts Lagoon neb and the
Veil neb both using 20mm + OIII reallycame alive filtered. The Veil’s stringy
filaments Wow! I spent probably a good 20-30 minutes on that one. The Swan neb
is another that benefits from an OIII. Cheers,CS Rob  From:
nswnra-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nswnra-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Paul McGuiness
Sent: Saturday, 14 August 2010 07:54
To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nswnra] Last night's viewing Hi all,
Since the wind has died down, I had an hour
or two outside last night. Transparency was
pretty ordinary and seeing even worse.
The 22 and 17 EP's were OK, but the
12 and anything shorter was a struggle.
Found that PN is Grus from here, finally.
This time I tried looking for it with the
UHC in place. It is almost invisible without
it. Both it and the Quartet were twice as
faint as at Glen's. The ring shape that
was so clear at Glen's was only just
visible with averted vision with the filter.
Shows the value of dark skies.
The nebulas near 6723 were
pretty good with the filter in place.
It was just good to be back at the