[nswnra] Re: Elections and Rugby

  • From: "judith stella" <judes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 06:52:53 +1000

I really like the the Swiss arrangement. We bang on about democracy but a
two party system where people have to vote with the party ... how democratic
is that?? We don't seem to be mature enough to manage more of a consensus
approach.

I really like that power will not be totally in the hands of one party and
that other views will have to be taken into account. You may have read that
in South Australia when there was a hung state parliament a few years ago,
the labour premier Mike Rann appointed coalition members as ministers. After
the next election when Rann was returned with a majority, he re-appointed
the coalition ministers.

Even calling it a hung parliament is perjorative - its actually much more
democratic!!

And bring on the Greens in the senate - they may be a single interest party
but its their single interest that we really need right now imho.

Judith

  _____