[norcal-hug] Re: Time to plan our next meeting?

  • From: "William Tracy" <afishionado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norcal-hug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:04:44 -0800

On Jan 30, 2008 10:21 PM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> correct site is norcal-hug.org
> I'm in Rohnert Park, so not too far from Santa Rosa when you're up this way.
> Have you ever been to any of the NBLug meetings?  I go to about 2-3 a year,
> when I'm not busy with other things.

I found out about norcal-hug through the NBLUG mailing list.

I haven't been able to make very many of their meetings, though. :-(

>  Did you take any classes at SRJC?
> I've taken quite a few computer and math classes there the last few years.

I got an associate's degree there. :-)

I'm trying to place whether or not I might know you. I knew a Scott
through the math lab, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't you.

>  I switched over to using Ubunutu on my home laptop a few months ago and am
> happy with it for the most part.  I have an older laptop so luckily Haiku
> runs on it just fine.  I need to check newer builds on my newer laptop to
> see if it boots on that one yet.  I last checked it a few weeks ago and it
> was still a no go, although it works in a vm on there.  I'm guessing it's
> the IDE driver.

I have one of Dell's "n series" laptops, with Ubuntu factory
installed. I'm pretty happy with it.

I also have an old Apple G3 tower with a bizarre SCSI hard drive
configuration. It took me about a week to get it to boot Linux. :-P
(It would install just fine, but Grub wouldn't boot off the drive.) I
think I'll stay away from trying to put any Haiku PPC builds on it.
;-)

--
William Tracy
afishionado@xxxxxxxxx -- wtracy@xxxxxxxxxxx

Assembly language experience is [important] for the maturity and
understanding of how computers work that it provides.
                -- D. Gries