[norcal-hug] Re: HUG launch announcement timing, meeting frequency & venue

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norcal-hug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:18:32 -0700

Urias McCullough wrote:
On 9/21/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As we prepare to launch NORCAL-HUG, I am moving NORCAL-HUG related
discussions to this list. I hope you don't mind.

Sounds like the right thing to do :)

We just need to remember that the emails are public.

We are always civil, are we not? :)

We need to put a little thought about when to announce the HUG, and
where to meet and how frequently.

I actually would not mind letting people know what we are doing and
pointing them to this mailing list even at this stage. We may get more
people onboard from an early stage, which could give us more options in
terms of things like finding a meeting venue, etc. It may also help
gather more folks for the Oct. 7 gathering.

Maybe we should contact a few other people in the area among those
that we know of first to increase our membership before we make any
public announcements...

Then again, I'm not sure who's in the area.

I don't think the timing (of who is informed first) will have any effect, so I would just do both.

There's the few people who signed up for FalterCon: Jimmy Cederholm,
Isaac Yonomoto?, Travis Geiselbrecht (I doubt he'll be too much
interested... but who knows)... and who else?

I suspect there may be other people in the hiding. :)

Which is why networking with LUGs and other user groups may help us reach people who may be interested.

I'll talk to one of my coworkers - he crunches for Team Haiku already,
and we talk about Haiku occasionally, although he really hasn't looked
at it much beyond what I've shown him once or twice.

Feel free to announce it publicly, however, since it certainly can't
hurt. I doubt anyone outside our area is going to be terribly
interested in the details, and those who are in the area can be
pointed to this list for further discussion. At least then we'd get
the opportunity to know who those people are :)

I will write something up.