[nikonf4] Re: Scanner Fluid Mounting

  • From: Frank Armstrong <frankarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 08:36:55 -0400

I have no data or knowledge on that. I do know that the Epson Scan software will automatically sample the orange masking on color negatives and remove it. No more having to have specific film profiles to get good color from color negs. A 25-year-old Kodak VPS III neg will scan just as easily as a new Fuji NPS color neg The V700 seems to handle just about anything I ask it to.

On 11/2/2010 1:04 AM, Koichi Mac wrote:
        I think I understand how the fluid mounting of negatives works.  I
think that this is one way to address / minimize the presence of glass plate
between the scanning material and the sensor which I find ingenious.  But I
have another question on the fluid mounting itself.

        Does it, in anyway, enhance the dust / scratch removal of the original?
Specifically, does it alter or improve the capability of infrared channel in
reading dust particles which is used to deduct after reading the whole image?  This
has been one sticky point for me because scanning negative is trickier than
scanning slides and it prompted me to change my plan to wait negatives and B&Ws
later - so that there might be new technology to do the scanning of these medias
more easily.  Have any input on that?

        Test sending this to F4@xxxxxxxxxxx too.

Koichi Yasutani - a.k.a. Steve + MP
Lakewood, WA U.S.A.
2010 / 11 / 1           22:03 PDT

On Oct 27, 2010, at 0502 , Frank Armstrong wrote:

The only real advantage of fluid mounting is with negatives -- like 8x10 -- that have to
be laid directly on the glass of the scanner.  It avoids Newton Rings.  But I found a way
around that one.  The "Pro" also comes with a full Silver Fast Pro version of
their scanning software, where as the V700 only has Silver Fast Lite.  However, I find
the Epson Scan to be pretty damned good once you get the hang of it.  If you are not
scanning anything bigger than 4x5 negs/trannies, you probably wouldn't notice the
difference.  I use the V700 with complete satisfaction.

On 10/26/2010 3:42 PM, Jay Paxton wrote:

I notice that there is a V700 and a V750-M Pro.  There is about $200 difference
in the price, but they otherwise seem to be the same or similar units.

What is the difference in the pro model, and it that something that most of us
would benefit from?  From a cursory look at the Amazon display, I think the
difference may be that the V750-M Pro has a fluid mount accessory included for
negative scanning.  Not sure that is something most of us need.

What are your thoughts?