[nikonf4] Re: Meteors / Aurora

  • From: Eric Welch <ericwelch@xxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 06:23:15 -0800

The difference is film has no chance competing with a D700 at high ISO. I
believe that would be 13 seconds. I remember shooting Northern Lights in Canada
back in the early 80s on Kodachrome 64 and a Pentax LX and 50mm 1.4. I think
the exposure - picked by the camera reading off the film (the LX was one of the
first to read ambient exposures reflected off film) - was about 30 seconds.

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:50 PM, Koichi Mac wrote:

>       Um…that's for Windows, isn't it?  Let me see if I can check the
> metadata.  Got it, here is PNG.  So that's 13 seconds? or 1/13 second? - much
> shorter than I anticipated anyway.  I have a shot of northern lights /
> aurora, spent about 8 minutes with film and wouldn't show up spectacularly
> like that, suffering a massive reciprocity failure.
>
> <Screen shot 2010-12-08 at 11.46.01 .png>
>

> Koichi Yasutani - a.k.a. Steve + MP
> Lakewood, WA U.S.A.
> CC: F4FL
> 2010 / 12 / 8         23:49 PST
>
> On Nov 30, 2010, at 2016 , John Osthus wrote:
>
>> I believe I did not strip it out of the EXIF.
>>
>> Do you have Opanda?
>>
>> http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
>>
>> Nice to have.  A right click leads you to all of the data.

Eric

An engineer, a physicist, and a statistician were moose hunting in northern
Canada. After a short walk through the marshes they spotted a HUGE moose 150
metres away. The engineer raised his gun and fired at the moose. A puff of dust
showed that the bullet landed 3 metres to the right of the moose. The
physicist, realizing that there was a substantial breeze that the engineer did
not account for, aimed to the left of the moose and fired. The bullet landed 3
metres to the left of the moose. The statistician jumped up and down and
screamed "We got him! We got him!"