[nikonf4] Re: Lion's lunch?

  • From: Dave <downsouthdave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, f4@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:32:47 -0800 (PST)

I worked at the Detroit Zoo when I was in high school and had a chance to
interact with the lions. I'm convinced cat behavior is all the same whether
it's
a domestic cat, lion, cheetah or whatever. The difference is that a lion can do
real damage if it attacks and a domestic cat really can't. The guy did exactly
the right thing by standing still when the lioness faced him and put her head
down. That was her indication that she would have flushed him if he moved very
much. Big cats will very seldom attack anything that they don't  or can't
chase.

I saw some amazing footage of an cheetah on the attack. There was a very young
springbok fawn crouching in the grass as its mother had taught it to do. The
cheetah approached and the fawn just froze. The cheetah cuffed at it to make it
move, which it finally did. It ran about 10 feet and the cheetah only then
chased it, pounced and killed it.