[nikonf4] Re: It's starting....

  • From: "John Osthus" <josthus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:46:00 -0600

I blew it in my steps below.

What I should have said is:

New DVD/BRD HDMI to TV and Optical out from DVD to a Vizio 5.1 sound bar for
$388 plus HDMI/Toslink cables form Parts Express ($15 for both)

Analog out from Uverse to your receiver with your existing speakers.  (I
doubt Uverse has analog out either)

In which case do this:

Optical out from your new $200 DVD/BRD player to toslink switch from Parts
Express
Optical out from Uverse to a tosloink switch from Parts Express.

(This gives you optical out from your two sources and the cheapest possible
5.1 sound via the Vizio)

You will likely need to upgrade your uverse receiver.  Get one that is HD,
with a DVR, and HDMI and optical out. Ideally with an antenna in for free HD
locals.)

You will also want an old-fashioned Radio Shak TV antenna.  You can go to
this site to see what/if any local HD broadcasts you can get free with your
radio shack antenna.  http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Total spend = less than $600.

Right now you are smelling cake.  You could be eating cake.

Best,

John