[nikonf4] IPS

  • From: Koichi Mac <nikonf3tmd4@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 04:55:13 -0800

        I see.  Googled Wiki and read this.

        *       *       *
In-plane switching (IPS)
In-plane switching was developed by Hitachi Ltd. in 1996 to improve on the poor
viewing angle and the poor color reproduction of TN panels at that time.[6]Its
name comes from the main difference from TN panels, that the crystal molecules
move parallel to the panel plane instead of perpendicular to it. This change
reduces the amount of light scattering in the matrix, which gives IPS its
characteristic wide viewing angles and good color reproduction.[7]

Initial iterations of IPS technology were plagued with slow response time and a
low contrast ratio but later evolutions have made marked improvements to these
shortcomings. Because of its wide viewing angle and accurate color reproduction
(with almost no off-angle color shift), IPS is widely employed in high-end
monitors aimed at professional graphic artists, although with the recent fall
in price it has been seen in the mainstream market as well.

        Do you remember people were complaining about viewing angle too wide on
laptop PCs and Active Matrix had to come in to protect privacy?  It's a
different technology, but whatever goes around comes around.            :-DD

Koichi Yasutani - a.k.a. Steve + MP
Lakewood, WA U.S.A.
2010 / 11 / 25          04:55 PST