[nikonf4] Fwd: Monitor Discussion

  • From: Frank Armstrong <frankarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: f4 group <nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:46:17 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Monitor Discussion
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 06:20:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Billie M <bmercertx@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Frank Armstrong <frankarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>, bmercertx@xxxxxxxxx
This was sent to me by Billie -- she's been a big NEC fan for some years now.

Frank

Frank, Don't know if you need a monitor but these discussions are good to save.
Thought you might be interested.

Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "peegeenyc" peegeenyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   peegeenyc
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:20 am (PST)

I have owned Eizo, NEC, Apple and Dell monitors, mostly in the higher/larger
end. The Eizo was broken and went straight back to them, it cost $4500 and
changed color from one side to the other. They didn't bother to argue, it was a panel issue, and I saw them being sold off cheap 9 months later. I expect my Eizo experience was rare, but at Eizo's prices and 'reputation' that product
should never have made it to market.

NEC are very good and serious display manufacturer. Do not muddle them in with the others. The WQXi range is highly thought of, and the updated replacements - the PA series, even more so, with 14bit LUT and cutting edge Japanese IPS panels with very wide viewing angles. The PA271W is a good one to go for, if you like
larger displays, with 27" a lot of pixels (2560 horizontal - same as 30"
displays, but just 10% less vertically) and Display Port adapters, etc. I don't think the 30" model is out in the PA range as yet, but the 27" is close and good
value at ~$1300 street. They come with software for high level calibration,
renamed "Spectraview II" (I think its Color Eyes re-branded). If you have an ATI FirePro graphics card you can have a full 10bit pipeline with these PA displays,
and Photoshop CS4/5.

http://www.necdispl ay.com/Products/ Product/? product=ea6da8b1 -47a5-4ebf-
8992-420aa57961c a

10bit pipeline info from AMD (ATI), with graphic cards and monitors from HP, Dell, Eizo and NEC that support 10 bit listed (models a bit out of date now):

http://www.amd. com/us/Documents /48108-B_ ATI_FirePro_ Adobe_10- Bit_FAQ_R5_
Final.pdf

I also read good things about an HP 30" panel, and a web search would probably bring up that review. Thats terrific value, apparently, if you want the full 30" experience. As everybody says... forget about Apple, they have been outclassed,
its only worth it if you must have a designer look to your system, and are
willing to buy inferior products to get that.

On Nov 17, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Stephen Best wrote:

> Apple monitors today are aimed at consumers and aren't suitable for
colour-critical work.

Messages in this topic (12)
2b.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "Matt Freedman" matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   mattf_cac
Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am (PST)

Anybody have any thoughts on how the Dell U3011 would compare to the other
monitors being discussed?

Here is a review of it...
http://www.flatpane lshd.com/ review.php? subaction= showfull& id=1288168155

-- Matt
www.silentcolor. com

Messages in this topic (12)
2c.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "ben" benjschneider2@xxxxxxxxx   benjschneider2
Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 pm (PST)

I had a voltage surge that fried two of my monitors, so I replaced them. I
purchased two different Samsung LED monitors. A XL2370, and a PX2370. The
monitors' images are great, but I would not recommend them for photography use.

The problem with both is that the image appears to change with changes in
viewing distance, and head elevation. Getting a good exposure, and/or contrast
is a hit and miss process with them. The color seems to be true though.

I have had these monitors for just three months, but last night I was looking at replacements. I hate to go the $1400 for an Eizo, but is it the only game in
town? I was also considering a LaCie at $900.

I am glad to see this timely post even though some would consider it off topic.

Ben

Messages in this topic (12)
2d.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "tlbepson" tlbtlb@xxxxxxxx   tlbepson
Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:26 pm (PST)

"peegeenyc" <peegeenyc@. ..>: The WQXi range is highly thought of, and the
updated replacements - the PA series, even more so, with 14bit LUT and cutting
edge Japanese IPS panels with very wide viewing angles. The PA271W is a good one
to go for, if you like larger displays, with 27" a lot of pixels (2560
horizontal - same as 30" displays, but just 10% less vertically) and Display
Port adapters, etc. I don't think the 30" model is out in the PA range as yet,
but the 27" is close and good value at ~$1300 street. They come with software
for high level calibration, renamed "Spectraview II" (I think its Color Eyes
re-branded).

There has been a recent discussion (starting on/about November 10th and has
continued into this week--thread subject is "NEC PA271W")on Apple's Colorsync
Users List ( http://lists. apple.com/ mailman/listinfo /colorsync- users to
subscribe) about the NEC PA monitors and they are VERY highly thought of.
Apparently they are calibrated at the factory--special sort of hardware
calibration) and are built to maintain that calibration over the life of the monitor. Note though that they are new enough that the new on-going calibration
process does not have a proven track record yet so...time will tell.

Apparently the PA monitors sell both with and without the SpectraView software and after reading the posting from Chris Murphy on the colorsync users list, the SpectraView software is NOT needed. NEC provides (for FREE!) the MultiProfiler
software designed specifically for the PA series of monitors:

http://www.necdispl ay.com/MultiProf iler/downloads/

Note that this is the SLOWEST PAGE I have ever seen (I'm running on fairly fast broadband) and the downloads take a really LONG time but hey, it's free and so
if you have a PA monitor, it's probably worth the wait...'-}}

There was a lot of chatter (and envy) on the colorsync users lists when the HP 30" Dream Monitor was released. A number of list members bought the monitor but there were a number of issues with it and I think that the its promise wasn't fulfilled--particul arly at the price it was selling for--and there hasn't been
much discussion about it recently during this NEC PA monitor discussion.

By the way...I'm pc-based but I find the colorsync users list to be very
informative- -and...they don't hold it against me that I'm pc-based...' -}}

Hope that helps...

Terrie
http://tlbtlb. com/
tlbtlb@mail. com

Messages in this topic (12)
2e.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "Stephen Best" bitwareoz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   bitwareoz
Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm (PST)

--- In EpsonWideFormat@ yahoogroups. com, "tlbepson" <tlbtlb@...> wrote:

Apparently the PA monitors sell both with and without the SpectraView software
and after reading the posting from Chris Murphy on the colorsync users list, the
SpectraView software is NOT needed. NEC provides (for FREE!) the MultiProfiler
software designed specifically for the PA series of monitors:

http://www.necdispl ay.com/MultiProf iler/downloads/

I have the SpectraView Reference version of the PA271W (same monitor but hand picked and certified). Whilst the measurements I get with SpectraView Profiler are excellent I prefer to run my monitor with MultiProfiler alone as the results
are smoother and perfectly neutral. The differences in colour and gamut are
negligible. Whether this holds true over the life of the monitor remains to be
seen.

Messages in this topic (12)
2f.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "peegeenyc" peegeenyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   peegeenyc
Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 pm (PST)

Exactly - if I was buying a monitor tomorrow, this would be it.

check if you need a graphics card with dual link DVI capability for this(ie one
that can drive a 30" monitor), I suspect you do.

--- In EpsonWideFormat@ yahoogroups. com, "tlbepson" <tlbtlb@...> wrote:

>>"peegeenyc" <peegeenyc@> : The WQXi range is highly thought of, and the
updated replacements - the PA series, even more so, with 14bit LUT and cutting
edge Japanese IPS panels with very wide viewing angles. The PA271W is a good one
to go for, if you like larger displays, with 27" a lot of pixels (2560
horizontal - same as 30" displays, but just 10% less vertically) and Display
Port adapters, etc. I don't think the 30" model is out in the PA range as yet,
but the 27" is close and good value at ~$1300 street. They come with software
for high level calibration, renamed "Spectraview II" (I think its Color Eyes
re-branded).

There has been a recent discussion (starting on/about November 10th and has
continued into this week--thread subject is "NEC PA271W")on Apple's Colorsync
Users List ( http://lists. apple.com/ mailman/listinfo /colorsync- users to
subscribe) about the NEC PA monitors and they are VERY highly thought of.
Apparently they are calibrated at the factory--special sort of hardware
calibration) and are built to maintain that calibration over the life of the
monitor. Note though that they are new enough that the new on-going calibration
process does not have a proven track record yet so...time will tell.

Apparently the PA monitors sell both with and without the SpectraView software
and after reading the posting from Chris Murphy on the colorsync users list, the
SpectraView software is NOT needed. NEC provides (for FREE!) the MultiProfiler
software designed specifically for the PA series of monitors:

http://www.necdispl ay.com/MultiProf iler/downloads/

Note that this is the SLOWEST PAGE I have ever seen (I'm running on fairly fast
broadband) and the downloads take a really LONG time but hey, it's free and so
if you have a PA monitor, it's probably worth the wait...'-}}

There was a lot of chatter (and envy) on the colorsync users lists when the HP
30" Dream Monitor was released. A number of list members bought the monitor but
there were a number of issues with it and I think that the its promise wasn't
fulfilled--particul arly at the price it was selling for--and there hasn't been
much discussion about it recently during this NEC PA monitor discussion.

By the way...I'm pc-based but I find the colorsync users list to be very
informative- -and...they don't hold it against me that I'm pc-based...' -}}

Hope that helps...

Terrie
http://tlbtlb. com/
tlbtlb@...

Messages in this topic (12)
2g.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "tlbepson" tlbtlb@xxxxxxxx   tlbepson
Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:38 pm (PST)

"Stephen Best" <bitwareoz@. ..>: I have the SpectraView Reference version of the
PA271W (same monitor but hand picked and certified). Whilst the measurements I
get with SpectraView Profiler are excellent I prefer to run my monitor with
MultiProfiler alone as the results are smoother and perfectly neutral. The
differences in colour and gamut are negligible. Whether this holds true over the
life of the monitor remains to be seen.

So, given your experience, it's worth the extra cost to get the SpectraView
software?

From memory when I bought my NEC 2090Uxi, the SpectraView software was an
additional $100 (or thereabouts) so my guess is that if the software price is similar and you are already thinking of spending $1300 (I think that's the going
rate for the PA-27), then another $100 is probably not that big a deal...

Terrie
http://tlbtlb. com/
tlbtlb@mail. com

Messages in this topic (12)
2h.
Re: monitor rec.
Posted by: "Stephen Best" bitwareoz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   bitwareoz
Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:46 am (PST)

--- In EpsonWideFormat@ yahoogroups. com, "tlbepson" <tlbtlb@...> wrote:

So, given your experience, it's worth the extra cost to get the SpectraView
software?

Without the mated colorimeter? No. It's worthwhile evaluating the results from MultiProfiler first. It comes down to whether you trust your own eyes, or need
external confirmation ... such as it is,

Messages in this topic (12)

02:34:00