[nikonf4] D7000 images

  • From: Eric Welch <ericwelch@xxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:58:03 -0700

Got my Nikon D7000 yesterday. It's quite nice. I like it a lot. The
customizability is really extensive. The LCD on the back is gorgeous, and the
controls are laid out in a logical way. Noise performance is great. ISO 1600 is
really, really clean. I haven't shot enough at high ISOs to really say yet how
good, but up to 25,600 seems to be usable for some things. Overall, it's the
best DX camera Nikon makes by far. And for the price it really makes the D300s
look dated. AF is very fast, and accurate.

The only thing that's not great so far is that when it focuses during video you
can hear the lenses focusing. I don't even notice the noise from my AF-S lenses
as I'm shooting, but it's there in the video sound track. So you really need an
external mic to make audio work well apparently. Could this be a major reason
other cameras don't have AF during video other than the D3100?

One think Koichi would like is that you can set it so that with non-G lenses
you set the aperture with the ring on the lens instead of with a command dial.

I've got two photos you can download. Both less than 1 meg, though they are
full size jpegs. When I created them I didn't have an NEF converter for it yet.
Got that this morning from Adobe labs where Adobe Camera RAW 6.3 is still in
beta.

Here are the links:

Unmodified:

files.me.com/ericwelch/b1is5f

Added noise reduction in CS5 and tweaked colors and contrast.

files.me.com/ericwelch/4juu68

It's from the Atocha, a Spanish galleon that sank off Florida in 1622. We have
it on exhibit in the entrance to our library. Mostly high intensity
incandescent light with some daylight coming in from a skylight directly above.
Colombian emeralds obviously and gold probably from there too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Señora_de_Atocha

Eric

"In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us
your slaves, but feed us.'" - Dostoevsky