[nikonf4] Re: D700

  • From: Mark Stein <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:55:59 -0500

What are your current lenses, DX of FX? Would you lose anything by losing the DX field of view factor?

I like the quality of full frame at high ISO, but other than my 20mm, haven't felt like I've been missing anything with DX. I'd rather put the extra money into glass, or an extra flash. I like having two bodies that the lenses behave the same on... I doubt I'd have two full frame bodies (at least to start).

Your problem is you're approaching this from the angle of an old fart, when you should be looking at it from that of a young snot. If you never shot 35mm film, would you even think you were missing anything with a DX sensor? Even the term full frame refers back to something that really doesn't exist anymore (same with 4/3, etc). Do you have a dial app on your iPhone so you can really dial instead of using a number touch pad?

There are only a few reasons to make the jump to full frame...you like the image quality better or you want prime wide angle lenses. Anything thing else and your basically just looking at past affection for a dying medium.

But if you do go full frame and have stuff you want to sell....

At 04:46 PM 12/10/2010 -0500, you wrote:
Looked at a D700 today.  Nice camera.  It had a Sigma 85 1.4 on it, liked
the lens for the amount of time I would use it...
Like the idea of it being full frame.  Any comments?  Something else I
should be looking at?