K12> NEA Funding

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:51:40 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

http://www.arts.gov/endownews/news03/Testimony3-03.html

Prepared Statement of Dana Gioia
Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts
Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior and Related Agencies
U.S. House of Representatives

March 13, 2003

Mr. Chairman and Distinguished Members of the Subcommittee:

I am honored to come before you for the first time to discuss the
President's 2004 request for $117.480 million for the National Endowment
for the Arts. This request represents an increase of $1.749 million over
our FY 2003 appropriation.

I would like to begin by thanking Eileen Mason, the Endowment's Senior
Deputy Chairman, for her capable leadership as Acting Chairman over the
last year. Under her stewardship, the agency developed a new strategic
plan with a clear mission that will move it into a new decade.

Five weeks ago I took the oath of office. I have - by anyone's reckoning -
much to learn both about the National Endowment for the Arts and the
Federal Government. I bring to the Arts Endowment a combination of
idealism and pragmatism. As a poet, I understand the necessity for vision
and imagination. The arts enlarge and enhance our humanity. They provide
wisdom, consolation, and delight in ways that are indispensable to our
spiritual and intellectual growth. As a businessman, however, I also
understand the necessity of getting things done in an effective and
inclusive way. The best
decisions are reached through intelligent consensus-building in which
different groups can be brought together to achieve common goals.

The arts represent a central part of a nation's identity and legacy. The
measure of a great nation is not merely its wealth and power but also its
civilization - most notably the political and artistic ideals it creates,
promotes, and preserves. In this sense, the National Endowment for the
Arts, despite its relatively small size, represents an essential
expression of America's highest aspirations. Our artistic achievements
will be one means by which history will both know and judge us.

FREE CLIP ART
Do your Students, Teachers, Administrators, Tech Eds
need to know where to go for great online resources
for the arts? Integrate the arts into the classroom.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/websites.html>