K12> FREE Mendelian Genetics Lessons!

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:01:39 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

From: Xjamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jamie)
Newsgroups: k12.ed.science
Subject: FREE Mendelian Genetics Lessons!
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:20:44 GMT

FREE Mendelian Genetics Lessons!

Dear students and teachers,

I have just uploaded the second part of my four part self-learning
course in Genetics.
This quarter covers "Mendelian Genetics". It introduces basic terms
(like genes, alleles, etc.) teaches Mendel?s laws, how to do
monohybrid, dihybrid and test crosses, Punnett squares and
(importantly) chi-square analysis.
Like all quarters, each lesson has a study guide and self assessment
questions. There are also a series of workshops and the quarter ends
with a computer graded ("instant feedback") multiple choice exam.
Please have a look at the course. Teachers and students welcome!

Regards,
Jamie (Dr Jamie Love)

SPECIAL EDUCATION LINKS
Students with disabilities are to be afforded the same
learning opportunities as students without disabilities,
as far as possible. Special Needs and Assistive Technology
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/specialed.html>

PS - Teachers: I am writing the more advanced lessons and would
appreciate any feedback about my plans. Have a look at the syllabus
(also on the website) and let me know if you feel it needs something
more or whether something is not needed.
Specifically, I am "agonizing" over whether I should go into details
about linkage analysis (including teaching how to do the math to do
maps in centimorgans). I am thinking that, nowadays, a student doesn?t
need to know how to do the mapping because most of this has been
replaced by molecular techniques (centimorgans are not as important as
megabases). Lately, I have been thinking of just giving an overview
about linkage (even mention LOD scores) but not present the math. What
do you think?

Dr Jamie Love
Virtual Instructor in Genetics.
FREE lessons at