[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 8

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:54:13 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:39:18 -0500

From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>

To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 8

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 9, No. 8

April 30, 2010

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

The Social Psychology Network has created a map of the research centers and groups around the world studying social psychology.  Click on it to narrow down to specific locations.  Very nice. http://www.socialpsychology.org/maps/researchgroups/

I mentioned in the last Newsletter addendum that subscriber Amy Hackney asked:  "I have a request...I'm wondering if/how other social psychologists are discussing in class the passage of the health care bill, the polarized attitudes, the visceral rhetoric, etc."  Here are a couple responses to Amy's request.

Subscriber Sam Sommers said: "I don't have any great answers to Amy's question, though I've been pondering the same myself.  I just wrote a PT blog on that very question, namely what does all this mean and how we understand it from a psychological perspective (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201003/the-not-so-great-debate).  Again, the post doesn't really offer much in the way on concrete answers, but it's my effort at least to start such a conversation with my students (and in my own head).  I pass it along in case the link is of use/interest to anyone."

Subscriber Nancy Ashton said: " I mentioned a political email that I got asking me to go to a website related to the Health insurance bill and affix my name....and we discussed it in terms of sequential compliance strategies---if I go to the site, they have my name and may hit me with a second larger request (foot in the door) and if I don't go, they may ask me to do something less public and "smaller" , reacting to the "door in the face" that they got from me. There is ALWAYS lots of interesting stuff in Washington and other political circles---on attitude change, persuasion, compliance, conformity etc.  In a couple of week when my class gets to the aggression chapter, perhaps, among other things, we'll discuss some for heated actions this week....threats, as some aggression."

Activities and Exercises

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award Winners for 2010

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010recipients.htm

As many of you know, for several years now the Social Psychology Network, through the work of Scott Plous, has sought nominations and awards prizes for the best examples of action teaching in social psychology.  You can read more about the award and action teaching at the above link.  But, on with the awards.

Greater Good Web Site - Winner

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/

I have mentioned and commended this site in past issues.  Lots of good articles and ideas for promoting the greater good.

Understanding the Dynamics of Criminal Jury Trials - Honorable Mention

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010honor5.htm

An in-class activity and a field experience in a courtroom

Social Judgment: Making attributions

http://www.thefirefly.org/Firefly/html/News%20Flash/2010/February%202010.htm#activities

The creator of this activity misrepresents the fundamental attribution error, but he does provide some interesting scenarios that can be used to talk about types of attributions we make as well as alternative explanations for behavior. H/T subscriber Marianne Miserandino!

And here's a completely different activity your students could try!

Persuasion: New Cheerios!

http://improveverywhere.com/2001/09/22/new-cheerios/

Class Assignments

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/assignments.htm

More of the SPN Action Teaching Awards:

Putting Positive Psychology Into Action - Honorable Mention

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010honor1.htm

A service learning project

The Psychology of Sustainable Behavior: Three Action Teaching Assignments - Honorable Mention

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010honor2.htm

Financial Education for Refugees - Honorable Mention

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010honor3.htm

A field experience

Mass Violence and Reconciliation in Rwanda and Its Neighbors - Honorable Mention

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2010honor4.htm

An elaborate and interesting field research study

Examples

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm ;

Conflict and Peacemaking/Social Judgment: Ingroup bias

http://elections.firedoglake.com/2010/04/08/new-poll-shows-record-low-approval-of-congress/

It used to be that voters would say "throw those bums in Congress out, but keep mine."  Now, even that is changing.

Gender and Culture: Sexualizing women: Children's lingerie line

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2010/01/noah-cyrus-launches-childrens-lingerie-line/

Helping: Bystander apathy

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hugo_wouldn_have_done_that_family_FKNTR0IUj3tsYhB5uSzfEL

A very disturbing video -- A man who helped rescue a woman from an attack was seriously injured in the attack.  He is now lying on the sidewalk dying.  Watch the response of passersby. (Passersby - is that a word?)

Social Judgment: Confirmation bias

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/stewart-hammers-fox-news_n_538584.html

Oh, I love this one.  How does Fox News interpret the Nuclear Security Summit logo?  Jon Stewart explains.

Articles

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Social Judgment: Priming for God/religion

http://public.gettysburg.edu/~bmeier/Publications/Toburen%20&%20Meier%20(2010)%20-%20God%20Primes%20and%20Anxiety.pdf

http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/2010/03/god-prompts-can-scare-us-into-trying-to.html

I've seen a number of studies recently that have primed participants for God, religion, or other related concepts.  In this case, the priming let to greater persistence on an anagram task and greater anxiety about completing.  However, I just heard some research at the Midwestern Psychological Association conference (yesterday, in fact) that found that participants responded differently to primes of "religion" than to primes of "God."  So, there may be confounding effects when multiple religious terms are used as in the above study.  The second link is to a blog entry about the research.

The Psychonomic Bulletin & Review recently published a special issue on emerging trends in psychology and law research.  You can view the table of contents and abstracts at

http://pbr.psychonomic-journals.org/content/current. ; U

nfortunately, most of these articles are not freely available on the Web.  But one article that is...

Psychology in the Courtroom: Eyewitness testimony and distance

http://faculty.washington.edu/gloftus/Downloads/Loftus.Legal.2010.pdf

Interesting article that tackles the question of what an expert in perception could tell a jury about the accuracy of eyewitness testimony, particularly when that eyewitness is some distance from the alleged perpetrator.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Aggression/Gender and Culture/Prejudice: "Rescuing girls from sex slavery"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/29/cnnheroes.koirala.nepal/index.html?hpt=C1

A very compelling story from India

Aggression/Prejudice: Preventing genocide

http://www.ushmm.org/genocide/

The U.S. Memorial Holocaust Museum has put together a good set of resources on genocide including a description of countries that are at risk today.

Conflict and Peacemaking/Psychology in the Courtroom: Sharing initial preferences

http://tinyurl.com/29vxowu

This blog entry summarizes the research by recommending "don't start group discussions by sharing initial preferences."  Why, what happens?  Nope, not going to tell you.  You have to go read it.

Conformity: More background on Milgram's obedience studies

http://tinyurl.com/2fxfbwl

Conformity: Cell phone etiquette

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/26/cell-phone-etiquette-15-r_n_514927.html

This list of 15 rules provides a nice example for a discussion of how norms are formed, transmitted, changed, etc.

Genes, Gender, and Culture:  Where do sex differences come from?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-truth-about-boys-and-girls

Interesting article in Scientific American Mind: "Experience itself changes brain structure and function. Most sex differences start out small—as mere biases in temperament and play style—but are amplified as children’s pink- or blue-tinted brains meet our gender-infused culture."

Genes, Gender, and Culture: "Blondes paid more than other women"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/7552146/Blondes-paid-more-than-other-women.html

It's about tim...oh, they're just talking about women.

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Hong Kong police recruit "pretty" women

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/police_recruit_pretty_women-03182010143456.html

Genes, Gender, and Culture: "Causes and correlates of girls' delinquency"

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/226358.pdf

Genes, Gender, and Culture/Prejudice: "Iceland: The world's most feminist country"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/25/iceland-most-feminist-country

I think it would be interesting to ask students or anyone what they think would make a country "female-friendly."  Or male-friendly.  Or possum-friendly.

Helping: Reciprocal altruism in infants?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/183341.php

"We are usually eager to assist people who have helped us in the past. These reciprocal relationships are an important part of adult interactions and foster cooperation in society. New findings, reported in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, suggest that this reciprocal behavior may have early beginnings and can be demonstrated in children as young as 21-months-old."  Am I allowed to call 21-month-olds infants?  My rule of thumb:  If a baby can point to another baby and call it a baby, it is no longer a baby.

Persuasion: War propaganda

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/?source=rss&aim=/opinion/greenwald/

This column from Glenn Greenwald prompts questions as to what is propaganda, and what happens when people keep getting told that this is the critical event, until they are told the next one is actually the critical event.  Is there research on that?

Persuasion: Intuitive understanding of persuasion

http://tinyurl.com/25tfgxt

http://tinyurl.com/246ecwq

"This research provides the first evidence that people do indeed use their intuitive understanding of persuasion and the personal characteristics associated with persuasion, to judge the extent to which persuasive attempts will be successful."  The second link is to another blog entry about the research -- a bonus one for you,

Dave!

Persuasion: American propaganda?

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/04/05/afghanistan/index.html

Interesting essay suggesting that American citizens are being fed propaganda about Afghanistan

Persuasion: "Scary health messages can backfire"

http://tinyurl.com/33kgo9l

For some people: "Before gauging the participants' reaction to the article and its advice, the researchers tested them on a measure of 'cognitive avoidance'. People who score highly on this personality dimension respond to threats with avoidance tactics such as distracting themselves, denying the threat or persuading themselves that they aren't vulnerable."

Prejudice: Arizona's new immigration law

http://www.tolerance.org/blog/arizona-legalizes-racial-profiling?newsletter=TT042710

http://www.azfamily.com/news/91769419.html

The first article is from the Teaching Tolerance site which says that "Arizona legalizes racial profiling."  The second link is to an apparently disturbing event that occurred a few days before the law was passed.

Prejudice: "The political incorrectness of political correctness"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201004/the-political-incorrectness-political-correctness

This interesting essay by subscriber Sam Sommers could prompt some good debate in your classroom.

Prejudice:  Role reversal

http://ephphatha-poetry.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagine-if-tea-party-was-black-tim-wise.html

If one wants to believe that the U.S. is a post-racist society, one just needs to substitute a minority group for the majority or powerful group in certain situations to see the extent of our biases and prejudices.  This blog entry provides an excellent example of that.  Provides a good, provocative prompt for discussion.

Prejudice/Social Judgment:  Whom should we screen at airports?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/airport-security-checks-r_n_522694.html

"The U.S. government is refining its terror-screening policy to focus on specific terror threats and not travelers' nationalities. The new policy replaces a security requirement put in place after the attempted bombing of a jetliner en route to Detroit on Christmas Day that singled out people from 14 countries that have been home to terrorists."  Which is better?

Psychology in the Courtroom: Eyewitness accuracy

http://tinyurl.com/3665jur

I didn't know that Dan Simon of the inattentional blindness gorilla fame has a blog.  But he does.  I'm sure you are just as fascinated as I am.  But anyway, this blog entry is about a staged television crime and the accuracy of their eyewitnesses.

Social Judgment: "Finding meaning in random sequences"

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-04-07/#feature

More on the power and peril of intuition

Social Judgment: Rational rejection of expert advice

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/cormac/papers/2009/SoLongAndNoThanks.pdf

Interesting article about why it might be rational to ignore many of the calls for more careful attention to security on your computers

Social Judgment: How do we interpret low-probability, high-impact events?

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/58044/title/Gambling_on_experience

"A growing body of research indicates that people making decisions interpret the chances of encountering rare events, such as a child developing tragic complications from a vaccine, in dramatically different ways."

The Self: Problems with self-construal

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2010/04/how-to-read-minds-like-wizard.cfm

"Those who had more psychological distance from themselves had a much more realistic sense of how others saw them. They were able to see the 'big picture' rather than focusing on trivial flaws and defects that only a microscope can detect. In short, they were better mind readers."

The Self: Do the mobile form group identities?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2010/03/american-restlessness-american.cfm

Some in society move quite frequently.  Does that prevent or lessen the likelihood they establish identities around groups they belong to?

The Self: Indirect bragging can be harmful

http://tinyurl.com/2bu3pg9

You may be better off saying "I could be the next prime minister" than saying "My son could be the next prime minister."

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

Instructional Techniques: Students create their own animated movies Subscriber James McMinn passed along this excellent use of technology in his classroom along with some examples of the finished products.  I'll let him tell you about it: "I thought this activity might be of interest to those looking to incorporate additional technology (at no cost) in the teaching about stereotyping and prejudice reduction. I ask students to script a brief monologue or dialogue that focuses on stereotyping or prejudice reduction.  After their scripting, I ask them to create an account on Xtranormal (www.xtranormal.com) and to turn their script into a movie.  On this website, they can fairly easily create a movie that brings their script to "life".  They choose the features of their characters (e.g., voice, behaviors), background settings, camera angles, and music, and then create the action of the script.  Even students with limited technological savvy found this program easy to use, and all students enjoyed sharing their videos with others in the social psych class, on Facebook, etc.  What I found in their videos was a broad cross-section of specific prejudices that interest students (I have linked two videos below), and a fairly good reflection of knowledge about stereotyping from social psychology.  My only caution about Xtranormal is that though it is engaging for students, it is a free web-based service; thus, it can be very slow to create movies when the script is created and it sometimes loses the script if students aren't saving their work consistently.  Despite these drawbacks, Xtranormal is a great technology to allow students to express their creativity in a way that relates to the content of their course.   ht

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6333087/ ;

(gender stereotyping)

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6339075/

(a more comical look at stereotyping of those with moustaches)"

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2010.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College