[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 11

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:47:44 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:41:32 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 11

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 10, No. 11

August 26, 2011

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

10 years.  This issue completes the tenth year of this Newsletter.  The first issue was sent out two days after 9/11.  Over those years I have really appreciated all your nice comments and helpful feedback.  Please keep those coming.  To get a little more formal feedback, I have created a brief survey for all of you subscribers.  If you could take a few minutes to complete the survey it would be much appreciated.  Hey, I only do a survey every ten years!  To complete the survey click on the following link

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/621089/ tsp-newsletter-10-year-anniversary-survey

The survey asks about the Newsletter and the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website.  If you only read the Newsletter and never visit the site you can just complete that section.  Thanks again for your help.  Have a great year.

Conformity: "Money and mimicry: When being mimicked makes people feel threatened"

"When participants were made to think about money and then asked to judge another person who was mimicking them, they liked a mimicking participant less compared to those who were not reminded of money. This was due to their enhanced feeling of threat, potentially because mimicry was seen as an infringement on the feeling of self-sufficiency and autonomous goal-pursuit."  The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a brief blog entry about it.

Persuasion/Social Judgment: Company brands produce positive priming but slogans the opposite

Fascinating -- "For instance, exposure to the retailer brand name “Walmart,” typically associated with saving money, reduces subsequent spending, whereas exposure to the Walmart slogan, “Save money. Live better,” increases it. Slogans cause reverse priming effects and brands cause priming effects because people perceive slogans, but not brands, as persuasion tactics."  The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Activities and Exercises

Prejudice: Multicultural teaching: Information and strategies

An extensive set of resources for teaching multicultural topics and issues from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching at the University of Michigan

Class Assignments

Project: Teaching social categorization

A recent Teaching of Psychology article: "This article details a multi-modal active learning experience to help students understand elements of social categorization. Each student in a group dynamics course observed two groups in conflict and identified examples of in-group bias, double-standard thinking, out-group homogeneity bias, law of small numbers, group attribution error, ultimate attribution error, and moral exclusion. Students individually wrote papers detailing their observations. The author then carefully structured students' small and large group discussions so students could present and compare their findings orally. Pretest–posttest analyses revealed that students had a more complete and accurate understanding of social categorization after participating in this assignment than they did after merely reading the relevant textbook chapter."

Helping: Example of heroic rescue

During the recent Norwegian massacre, a tourist helped rescue several teens on the island where the shooting took place.

Prejudice: Institutional racism

A Black student with the highest GPA was not allowed to be sole valedictorian at her high school because, allegedly, it would create a "big mess." A White student was appointed a co-valedictorian.

Prejudice: Stereotypes in the media

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/18/ nivea-apologizes-for-controversial-ad-in-esquire/?on.cnn=1

"Nivea apologizes for controversial ad in Esquire."

Online Lectures

Video lectures: Social Psychology: Self & Society: Instructor: Robb Willer

Topic Resources

Attraction and Relationships: Most romantic U.S. city?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/8/5/ redbox-and-the-most-romantic-city-in-the-united-states.html

I  always like to see interesting ways of measuring things.  Most romantic city?  The one that rented the highest percentage of romantic comedies through Redbox (a kiosk often located in front of or inside stores from which someone can rent a movie).  Follow the link to find out if it is your city...

Attraction and Relationships: Oxytocin boosts trust, and attractiveness in more masculine male faces

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/8/12/ oxytocin-takes-the-ass-out-of-masculinity.html

Interesting study -- more masculine males can be seen as more dangerous.  But a shot of oxytocin up the nose caused both males and females to view the more masculine males as more attractive.

Attraction and Relationships: Humor and attraction

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/8/19/ humor-and-attraction-who-likes-a-joker.html

"A recent study indicates that men are more likely than women to use humor when getting to know potential romantic partners, and that women use sense of humor as a criteria for evaluating partners more than men. In addition, when analyzing online personal ads, researchers found that men tended to mention their own sense of humor, while women stated a preference for a funny partner. Finally, a woman’s rating of a man’s sense of humor predicts her romantic interest in him. However, a man's perception of a woman’s sense of humor is unimportant for his desire to get to know her."

Attraction and Relationships: One downside of attractiveness

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/ 201108/when-being-beautiful-backfires

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/08/ it-doesnt-always-pay-to-be-pretty.html

Same-sex others reviewing your job application may respond more negatively to your attractiveness.  You've been warned.

Attraction and Relationships: Similarity and attraction

Subscriber Sam Sommers provides a good summary of some recent research on how we are attracted (and want to sit by) similar others.

Conformity: Milgram's prison study revisited 40 years later

Stanford Magazine revisits the study 40 years later with interviews of some of the key players.

Conformity: Social acceptance and rejection

A ScienceDaily article about a good Current Directions in Psychological Science article reviewing recent research on acceptance and rejection

General: "Social networking sites and our lives"

A report from the Pew Research Center providing a detailed look at our online experience based on survey research -- you can view the surveys also.

General: More on mirror neurons

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/2011/july-august-11/reflecting-on-behavior-giacomo-

Here's a good overview of what we know about mirror neurons and their relationship to behavior in this article about Giacomo Rizzolatti's talk at the APS convention.

Genes, Gender, & Culture: Dads, daughters, and sports

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/ 201107/dads-daughters-and-raising-sports-fan

A very nice essay from subscriber and father Sam Sommers

Helping: "The 'haves' show less empathy than 'have-nots'"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44084236/ns/health-behavior/ t/rich-are-different-not-good-way-studies-suggest/

Helping: "Chimpanzees not as selfish as we thought"

Often let others take the last slice of pizza

Methods: Statistics resources

CAUSEweb presents lots of good instructional resources for undergraduate statistics including lesson modules, computer and hands-on activities, datasets, analysis tools, and multimedia.

Persuasion: Can grammar affect an election?

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/07/ how-simple-point-of-grammar-could.html

"Imagine you encountered the following text: 'Timmy Tucker is a senior politician. Last year Timmy championed human rights, and was fiddling his expenses.' Now compare with this version: 'Timmy Tucker is a senior politician. Last year Timmy was championing human rights, and fiddled his expenses.' How does each version affect your view of Timmy Tucker? New findings from Caitlin Fausey and Teenie Matlock suggest that the first version is more likely to damage Timmy's re-election prospects." Read to find out why.

Prejudice: "The roots of the Islamophobia network in America"

A detailed report from the Center for American Progress on how Islamophobia has been funded and disseminated in America

Prejudice: Elmhurst College first in U.S. to ask prospective students if LGBT

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/ Elmhurst-College-to-Ask-About-Sexual-Orientation--128378348.html

The College is seeking diversity on campus

Psychology in the Courtroom: False confessions

This brief article reviews some recent research on false confessions.

Psychology in the Courtroom: "34 years later, Supreme Court will revisit eyewitness IDs"

An article from The New York Times

Technology in Teaching

Attraction & Relationships: Am I Normal (Sexually)?

Interesting, 30-minute episode in BBC radio's Am I Normal series

Persuasion: Billboards from 1885-1990s

A collection of over 16,000 billboards from the Outdoor Advertising Association of America organized by product and company -- lots of interesting examples to see.

Prejudice: Tulsa race riot of 1921

http://www.utulsa.edu/mcfarlin/speccoll/ collections/RaceRiot/indexphotos.htm

A large collection of postcards and photographs

Attitudes and Behavior: Inconsistency over "class warfare"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/19/ jon-stewart-rips-fox-news_n_931177.html

Jon Stewart on The Daily Show takes conservatives to task for hypocrisy over class warfare in this amusing video.

Attraction and Relationships: What is french kissing called in France?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/8/14/ good-kissing-video.html

Here's a cute little video montage of kissing accompanied by some facts including the answer to the above question.

Attraction and Relationships: Does spousal conflict impair the immune system?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/8/15/ in-sickness-and-in-health-pick-your-battles-w-videos.html

Video and text describing an interesting study testing this question

Gender and Culture/Persuasion: Airbrushed ad banned in UK

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/28/ airbrushed.advertisements.ban/index.html

Apparently Julia Roberts and supermodel Christy Turlington looked too good in the ad.

Helping: The evolutionary benefits of altruism

Two brief lectures from Dacher Keltner at UC Berkeley

Persuasion: Robert Cialdini discusses influences on his research

Prejudice: Group biases in primates

Interesting video of researcher Laurie Santos who discusses outgroup biases in monkeys

Prejudice: "It gets better": Stephen Colbert

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/20/ stephen-colbert-it-gets-better-video_n_904970.html

Prejudice: Video collection from UnderstandingPrejudice.org

A lot of good brief videos organized by topics

Prejudice: Whites in Mississippi seek out and kill first Black person they find

  How Do You ... ?
Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2011.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to

How to change subscription options:

Go to

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College

30 N. Brainard St.

Naperville, IL 60540

voice: (630)-637-5329 fax: (630)-637-5121