[net-gold] Concept Inventories in Mathematics

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:28:57 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mathedcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Concept Inventories in Mathematics

A math educator recently asked me privately (my insert at ". . .
.[[insert]]. . . ."):

"Do you know of any pre- and post-tests made by content experts . . .
that show higher-level learning for basic arithmetic/prealgebra? . .
. . . I will be using the Compass exam. . . . [[in math - information
at <http://www.act.org/compass/>]]. . . . . as a pre and post test.
But mostly because it's there, the students already take it before
and after the class. I'm not convinced it's a very fined tuned
instrument at all. Do you know of better?"

Tests of higher order learning developed by disciplinary experts are
sometimes called "Concept Inventories" - see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_inventory> and National
Academies (2008).

Except for Jerry Epstein's (2007) Calculus Concept Inventory, I'm
not aware of *any* concept inventories in mathematics, much less
arithmetic/prealgebra.

I know nothing about the Compass exam, but I doubt that it's a math
equivalent of e.g., the physics "Force Concept Inventory" [Hestenes
et al. (1992), Halloun et al. (1995)].

Perhaps some subscribers have information on the math Compass exam or
on Concept Inventories in mathematics.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 21 September 2010; some shortened
by <http://bit.ly/>.]

Epstein, J. 2007. "Development and Validation of the Calculus Concept
Inventory," in "Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on
Mathematics Education in a Global Community," 7-12 September, edited
by Pugalee, Rogerson, & Schinck; online as a 48 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/bqKSWJ>.

Halloun, I., R.R. Hake, E.P. Mosca, & D. Hestenes, "Force Concept
Inventory (1995 Revision)," online (password protected) at
<http://bit.ly/b1488v>, scroll down to "Evaluation Instruments."
Currently available in 20 languages: Arabic, Chinese, Croatian,
Czech, English, Finnish, French, French (Canadian), German, Greek,
Italian, Japanese, Malaysian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish,
Slovak, Swedish, & Turkish.

Hestenes, D., M. Wells, & G. Swackhamer, "Force Concept Inventory,"
Phys. Teach. 30(3), 141-158 (1992); online (but without the test
itself) at <http://bit.ly/b1488v>.

National Academies. 2008. "Workshop on Linking Evidence and Promising
Practices in STEM Undergraduate Education": Commissioned Papers at
<http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/PP_Commissioned_Papers.html>.

.