[neact] Re: More on HS chlorate explosion

  • From: carypq@xxxxxxx
  • To: neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:36:41 EST

     Having thrown gummy bears (as well as many other kinds of candy) into
molten sodium chlorate in an open evaporating dish for years, I suspect that
the use of a test-tube caused a rapid pressure build-up when the teacher
threw in the gum.
     This vigorous combustion reaction could very easily have produced
greatly expanding gases at a rate sufficient to blow out the test-tube.
     And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that group one chlorates
can detonate when under high pressure. I know for certain that heavy-metal
chlorates detonate.
      Cary Kilner
     University of New Hampshire
     Chemical Education Research