[USS Vanguard] The day the sky fell down

  • From: "Jonathon" <jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:08:06 -0000

Counselor Jaav E'thexx
Bridge
After:  Entrance with a Borg

Deck one lurched to port violently.  Like 21st century patients waiting to be
stuck with a needle, the crew knew it was coming.

Santos:  Report...

Soman: Shields are at 45%, inertial dampers are only partially operational.

E'thexx:  The Borg have adapted to our computed evasive patterns sir.

Santos hesitated slighlty before responding, cursing discreetly under his
breath.

Santos:  Can you make the corrections manually Counselor?

E'thexx:  Sir?

Santos:  You heard me Lieutenant, it doesn't have to be perfect.  Besides, you
might confuse them a little...

There was a notable twist of humour in the Captains voice.

E'thexx:  Aye Sir,

Jaav disengaged navigational support,  the terminal display reconfigured itself
in a flash, Jaav placed one hand over the touch controls and the other on the
concealed manual steering column which emerged in front of him.  He exhaled.

E'thexx:  Ready.

Santos:  Divert auxialliary power to the inertial dampers.

Soman:  Done...

Santos:  (to E'thexx)  execute a cochrane loop and follow it with your best
rendition of evasive pattern beta 7, that should make things a little more
difficult for their targeting scanners.

Tentatively, Jaav executed the maneuver,  the Vanguard banked slightly, the
crew felt it, there was a lag of a few fractions of a second as the inertial
dampers adapted to the sudden manual course changes.  The forces of
acceleration were more noticeable than normal.

Soman's board lit up, the computer chirped as the sensors picked up something
they hadn't before.

Soman:  Captain, Quantum cast-off from the torpedo has dissipated enough for me
to get a reading... We can confirm detonation on target Sir,  The Borg pyramid
is caught in the gravity well of Centaurus IV, they are accelerating toward the
planets surface.

Santos:  Biosigns?

Droin:  Our sensors aren't fully operational, it's hard to get a reading at
this range, but it looks like there are still active drones onboard the
fragment.

Santos:  She'ra, try and plot the trajectory of the pyramid fragment...How far
will the wreckage fall from the Hurricane?

She'ra ran the figures throught the computer,  the main view screen was
replaced by a navigational schematic.  It showed the approximate position of
the Shutlecraft Hurricane, a superimposed yellow line indicated the estimated
path of the borg fragment, against the surface of Centaurus IV.

Khan:  Sir, if these calculations are accurate, there is a 95.26% chance that
the Borg fragment will fall within 1.2 kilometres of our shuttle.

Droin:  If there are still active drones aboard it's very likely that they will
survive the wreckage.  A drone can cover that distance in a matter of minutes.

A communal, dry lump formed in the throats of member of the Bridge staff.  The
crew of the shuttle craft Hurricane faced the very real risk of
assimilation...and so did the population of Centuarus IV

USS Vanguard: http://vanguard.iwarp.com
_Free_Lists: //www.freelists.org