[ncsc-moths] Re: [tn-moths] Sympistis kappa?--Another potential new species for NC

  • From: "Jean Obrist" <innisfreehorses@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:21:19 -0500

I think being a true collector is a good thing.  One who has a great interest
in butterflies or whatever, collects them himself, and perhaps puts photos on
the 'net for educational purposes.  Collections at universities and nature
centers, etc give people the opportunity to view creatures up close that they
wouldn't otherwise experience.

I believe collecting for scientific purposes is noble: e.g, DNA testing, the
study of how insects can live through arctic cold, the effects of man-made
chemicals on insects.

What I object to is the person who goes into the jungle and nabs every rare
butterfly he can find for the purpose of selling them.
Jean Obrist

Larry, what specimens do you need?