[ncsc-moths] Re: [tn-moths] New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:51:25 -0500

Hugh,

Your setting the bar pretty high with goals like that. We can try.

Larry

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:32:39 -0500
Subject: [ncsc-moths] Re: [tn-moths] New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting
From: hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think two goals should be set for future events:

Goal #1: More moth species seen than beer varieties sampled

Goal #2: More moth individuals seen than bottles of beer consumed

And boy do I wish I could attend one of these!

Hugh

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last night we had the first ever "New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting at the
Farm" event.
It was great fun. The weather was very mild. We had at least 4 species of moths.
Poison Hemlock Moth - Agonopterix alstroemeriana (surprise, there were 2)
Spring Cankerworm - Paleacrita vernata
Green Cloverworm - Hypena scabra
Straight-toothed Sallow - Eupsilia vinulenta

Seven people participated.
Eight different beers were sampled.
Cerveza - Negra Modelo (Mexico)
Foster's - Lager
George Killian's - Irish Red
Lazy Magnolia - Southern Pecan (Nut Brown Ale)
Plank Road Brewery - Southpaw Light
New Belgium - 1554 (Black Ale)
New Belgium - Snow Day (Winter Ale)
Sierra Nevada - Tumbler (Autumn Brown Ale)

We enjoyed a variety of snacks and visited with the farm animals
2 Mini Horses
5 Mini Donkeys
8 Pygmy Goats
3 Baby Doll Sheep
1 Pot-bellied Pig
1 Great Pyrenees (big dog)
1 Barn Cat
We didn't visit the chicken house but we did enjoy some farm fresh deviled eggs.

I intend to do this again on Tuesday, Feb 21, 6:15 pm
and each new moon at sunset through the rest of the year.
I will post invites and reports.
Let me know if you would like to be added to the invite list.

Larry McDaniel
Jonesborough, TN

--
Hugh McGuinness