[ncsc-moths] Orthonama obstipata and Costaconvexa centrostrigaria comparison

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:43:14 -0500

There has been some discussion recently regarding the separation of
the very similar geometers, Orthonama obstipata (The Gem) and
Costaconvexa centrostrigaria (Bent-line Carpet).  I was at Bo
Sullivan's house this past weekend looking at his collection and he
has a very nice series of both species, all collected in North
Carolina.

In the attached image, the left column is Orthonama and the right is
Costaconvexa.  The top two moths in each column are females and the
bottom two are males.  This allows a side-by-side comparison
illustrating the wing maculation of both sexes of both species.

Hope this will be helpful in separating the two in the field.  Thanks
to Bo for giving me permission to share these specimens with you.

Merrill Lynch