[ncsc-moths] 4 moth species alreadyt!

  • From: Lori Owenby <loriowenby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:59:52 -0500

I was rather shocked to find 4 species in the first two days of
January!  Some of you may know that I am attempting a "big lep year"
in conjunction with some other friends who are counting other things
like birds, herps, mammals, spiders, and wildflowers in our local four
county region in the foothills of western NC.  We'll be blogging our
way through the year at www.catawbavalleycrazybigyear.blogspot.com and
we hope you'll find something that interests you along the way!  But I
also want to make sure that I have my identifications correct . . .so
I'll be e-mailing a lot more to confirm with you guys before I make a
post!

Last night I had one Hypena scabra (Green Cloverworm Moth) and 5 (3 m
/ 2 f) Alsophila pometaria (Fall Cankerworm Moths); both of the
females were laying eggs in the eaves of my roof line (see last photo)
while the males fluttered around and finally settled near my porch
light.

This morning when I got to work--I was quite surprised to find a
Costaconvexa centrostrigaria (Bent-line Carpet) along with 11 males
Alsophia pometaria (Fall Cankerworm Moths) attracted to the lights on
the educational building.  I almost walked right past (well, I did
three times) the last species which I am fairly confident is Acleris
logiana (Black-headed Birch Leaffolder Moth)--this one I am a little
unsure (see middle photo below) about but I gave it my best shot!
Hope you all have a wonder day and get ready for our first real winter
blast of the season!

--
-----
Lori Owenby

"The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to
pursue happiness.  You have to catch it yourself."  ~Benjamin Franklin