[ncolug] Re: libc6 during the install

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:22:03 -0500

A clean install is always more elegant.

It usually takes LESS time.

It usually works better when you are done.

It is not a waste of time, unless you sit there and watch it.

If you are changing hardware, it is the only choice.

Mike wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
I want a clean install because I like a clean install. It's just gives me a warm fuzzy experience. Acutally, I'm cleaning off this server because it's getting repurposed. Why don't I want to upgrade from 6.061, 7.04, then 7.10.. because there are some quirks. From 6.06 to 7.10 Ubuntu has learned a lot about package management. I agree, Debian's got it down... I'm hopeful that Ubuntu will stop being so creative. With 7.04 and 7.10 they seem to be heading in the right direction.

I'm not that impressed with Ubuntu anymore. Certainly not on older hardware. I'm sure they don't get the package management aspect of it with respect to their releases.

The short story here was I should have just d/l an ISO to update this box when I did it. It was back on 5.?? After 5 or 6 full updates I wasn't happy and in the end was really more mad at myself than Ubuntu for taking that route. Regardless I did post back then how inane is seemed when I know that it isn't that pain full with Debian.

A clean install seems so M$ world to me. Even if something is to be redone for another purpose it is near trivial to remove some kruft, update and move on. Reloading the OS is such a waste of time. To each their own...

Mike

"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours,
you think it's only a minute. But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute, you think it's two hours. That's relativity." Einstein (1879-1955)

Subject field.