[ncolug] Re: libc6 during the install

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:07:00 -0500

"system that was built specifically to eliminate that requirement"

Since such systems do not exist in the everyday world of computers that normal people can buy, the clean install is still the most elegant.

In an Ubuntu install there is no package selection. Cleaner and faster.

I am not wrong about it working better. I have been installing and upgrading dozens of Debian and Ubuntu systems, not to mention many other distros, for 5 years now. Although Ubuntu is absolutely at the top of the list when it comes to integrity after an upgrade, it is not bulletproof.

If I need to change from an older computer to a newer one, with a different motherboard and video card, how do you suggest I get the installation from the old to the new? And if I could, how well would it work? Moving only /home to a fresh install is the only reasonable method, and is already beyond most users anyway.

You guys really have top stop thinking that the rest of the world is populated by computer hobbyists and technicians.

Chuck Stickelman wrote:
larry wrote:
A clean install is always more elegant.

Wrong!  The elegance is in a system that was built specifically to
eliminate that requirement.

It usually takes LESS time.

Wrong!  When installing new packages you have to wade through a huge
list of potential packages to determine what you want.  In removing
unneeded packages, you are working with a much smaller list.

It usually works better when you are done.

Wrong!  This is so absolutely wrong!  Remember, we're talking about
Linux here.  Two identical systems with the same installed packages will
work the same.  There's no magical Registry at play here.

It is not a waste of time, unless you sit there and watch it.

Correct!
If you are changing hardware, it is the only choice.

Wrong!  Why would you think you must do a fresh install when changing
hardware?  What hardware would ever force a fresh install?

Chuck

--
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours,
you think it's only a minute. But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute, you think it's two hours. That's relativity." Einstein (1879-1955)

Subject field.