[ncolug] Re: libc6 during the install

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:41:18 -0500

Michael K. wrote:
> I just don't see the  advantage of pearing down the modules like hat.
> What do I gain by not having usb-printing support there?
> Mike K.

What "there"?  When you plug a USB printer into your laptop your kernel
loads a module.  If I had the module my laptop would do the same thing.
Heck, I could load the EXACT same kernel you have if I wanted to.

At some point each of us have to choose which modules we want and which
we don't want.  What I was trying to say is that you can't have every
module.  You can always find something missing, or buy something new.
(As an example I recently Wooted a USB TV tuner.  Now I can guarantee
that none of my Linux boxes have the needed module(s) installed.  What
should I do?  Install a new Distribution from scratch!?)

How many times have you or Larry or someone else talked about loading
one Distribution to find the system lacked support for a given device,
then load a different Distribution to find the first device was
supported, but now something else wasn't supported?

I remember Larry going through that painful process for quite some
time.  What Mike B. and I tried to get across to everyone was that it
was totally unneeded.  Load the Distribution you want and then build any
missing modules.

Some time ago I started building my own kernels.  When I did that I
built only the modules for the specific target system's hardware.

Sure, it would have been nice to have pre-built the USB printer
modules...  I just never thought about it since I don't own any.

Nothing gained, except a bit of time doing the compilation/building of
the kernel-package.

Chuck