[ncolug] Re: libc6 during the install

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:37:32 -0500

I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that a machine that's working will
continue working.

Purging a package is as close to it never existing as you'll get this
way, but doing that and then running deborphan will clean a machine.

Bertha is over 12 years old and she's only had Debian installed twice.
(Once in 1995 and once again in 1996.)

Why would I ever want to take huge steps backwards?  Package management
shouldn't change in terms of the package format or in /var/lib/dpkg/ (on
Debian-based systems).  So what has changed?

<soapbox mode="on">
Not to mention, why would a Debian-based distribution change the very
part of Debian that we "got right" 10+ years ago?  Do people understand
how much effort went into "getting it right"!?  The fights were
massive.  Debian's insistence of getting the low-level parts right were
what made Debian take so long to get started.  That delay was the very
thing that caused the Red Hat to split off and create Red Hat.  The
Ubuntu people can do a lot of things better than the rest, but why mess
with the heart of Debian?  Might as well use .rpms...
</soapbox>